Fried Plantains Recipe
If you have never had any plantain recipes whatsoever, then you’re in for a treat. This Fried Plantains Recipe, is a delightful little appetizer that you will truly enjoy time and time again.
But first before we begin, let me share with you a little bit of history and some facts about plantains that maybe you are not familiar with.
Some people confuse plantains with bananas however, they are quite different.
PLANTAINS VS BANANAS
- Plantains are native to India and are a staple food in tropical areas.
- Plantains have less sugar and less moisture than bananas.
- Plantains are longer than bananas and are starchy like potatoes. Bananas are sweet.
- Green plantains have to be cooked.
- Plantains can be green, yellow or black, depending on the stage of ripeness.
- The skin of a plantain is thicker than on a bananas and when plantains are green you must use a knife to cut through it.
- Plantains have to be cooked in order to be eaten.
- Plantains grow all year round so they are easily found in your the produce section of your supermarket.
I’ve created and made many plantain recipes but this particular plantain recipe I adapted from a recipe I came across from Tastemade. It caught my attention because of the sauce that tops it. I’m all about the sauces! 😋 This sauce is very similar to a chimichurri sauce which is made with garlic, onion, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, lemon and parsley.
Some chimichurri sauces are also made with cilantro and or mint. The one I made here for this plantains recipe is made with garlic, parsley, cilantro, jalapeño (I used a serrano pepper for more heat) vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
To any plantain recipe especially a fried plantain recipe, that you make, a delicious sauce or aioli, is a must! But another delicious ingredient to this wonderful appetizer is the pepper jack cheese. It melts perfectly with the fried plantains, and the sauce just compliments it quite well.
I hope you enjoy this little appetizer as much as I do! A little plantain gem with a Mexican twist and a little heat from the gracious serrano pepper!
Here’s to this fabulous fried plantains recipe! 🍻
Fried Plantains Recipe
|Prep time||10 minutes|
|Cook time||10 minutes|
|Total time||20 minutes|
|Meal type||Appetizer, Snack|
|Misc||Child Friendly, Serve Hot|
- 2 green plantains (peeled and each cut into 6 equal one- inch pieces)
- 8 Slices pepper jack cheese
- salt (to sprinkle over plantains after cooked)
- vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 jalapeño or serrano (finely chopped, can leave seeds and membrane for extra heat)
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper (to taste)
|Chop cilantro, parsley, garlic and jalapeño. In a bowl mix well all ingredients with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.|
|Peel the plantains using a knife down the middle being careful not to cut through vegetable. Using your fingers pry away peel.|
Cut each plantain into 6 one-inch pieces.
Add 1 inch vegetable oil to a skillet over medium heat. Heat oil for 2 minutes. Add plantain pieces and cook until slightly brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
|Flatten pieces with a tostonera or simply a bottom greased bowl. |
Return to skillet and fry until golden brown. Drain plantains on paper towels again and sprinkle each with salt.
|Take one plantain piece and top with one slice of cheese (fold cheese if necessary) add another plantain, top with cheese again and add the third piece of plantain. |
Heat through on both sides on non stick pan or place in microwave for a few seconds until cheese melts.
Repeat process with the other plantain pieces. Top each set of plantains with sauce. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
NOTE: Makes 4 sets of plantain. Serves 2-4
How do you prepare and make fried plantains?
Cut into 6 pieces or one inch pieces
Fry on both sides until golden brown
Using a tostonera or a bowl press down on semi cooked plantain to flatten.
To look like this and then re-fry.
Follow the rest of the recipe steps.
Leave me your comments and let me know if you will be making this fried plantains recipe or what you think about it!😄