This Low Carb Chicken Vegetable Soup is easy and quick to make. Made with mixed veggies, including peas, corn, green beans, carrots, onions, fresh chopped garlic and shredded chicken breast in a delicious chicken broth and topped with fresh cilantro and avocado cubes.
Low Carb Chicken Vegetable Soup
I don’t know exactly what it is about chicken soup that will forever be comforting and ageless but I do know it will always have it’s place in my kitchen and this Low Carb Chicken Vegetable Soup is absolutely no exception!
Chicken soup always has a way of creeping into our minds when we are feeling sick or just simply want to sooth and comfort our brain and body a little. And maybe for some of us a low carb chicken vegetable soup just simply soothes the waistline!
Why I’m I saying that?
Well it’s the first week in March already, right? Well maybe the hype of starting the new year with a plethora of healthy recipes and eating better has worn off a little bit and maybe we are back to old habits.
Maybe we are back to making quick meals and not really paying attention to all the little details that sometimes a healthy meal consists of but it surely never hurt anyone to keep a healthy low carb chicken vegetable soup in the recipe vault! After all, chicken soups will forever be classic and timeless!
Add to the fact that this low carb chicken vegetable soup is made with simple ingredients and it’s quick and easy to make and definitely hyper-tasty.
Technically this chicken soup only has five major ingredients with the rest being just a few spices. Simple right?!
- chicken breast (could use chicken thighs too, just remove skin)
- chicken broth
- a can of mixed veggies
- half an onion
- fresh cilantro
Spices include: salt, cayenne pepper and fresh garlic.
Simple, simple, simple! Tasty, tasty, tasty!
One last thing, but totally optional here is avocado cubes for topping!
For another low carb variation made with beef try this low carb beef vegetable soup by Simply So Healthy.
Low Carb Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 chicken breasts boiled
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 15 ounce can mixed vegetables
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if you like a little more spiciness in your soup)
- salt to taste
- 1 avocado (optional) cut in half, pitted and cut into cubes for topping
- Add about 2-3 cups of water to a pot and place over medium heat. When water is almost boiling add chicken breasts and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Remove from pot and shred chicken pulling apart with two forks.
- While chicken is cooking you can start preparing soup. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a pot over medium heat. Add chopped onions and stir. Let onions cook until they are translucent. Then proceed to add chopped garlic and cook for another minute stirring garlic and onions around pot with a spoon.
- Add the chicken broth, can of veggie mix, cilantro and cayenne pepper. Lower heat and cook together for 10 minutes.Add a little bit of salt to taste. Taste soup and see if would like more salt.
- Add shredded chicken to soup and cook for another 10 minutes.Serve soup in bowls and top with avocado cubes.Enjoy!
Let me know when you will be making this low carb chicken vegetable soup.
For another low carb soup, you may want to try this delicious Sopa de Hongos (Mushroom Broth Soup). One of my absolute favorites!