These Mini Chipotle-Lime Shrimp Kabobs are truly a succulent treat! Delicious plump succulent shrimps, marinated in fresh lime juice, chipotle peppers, chili powder, fresh garlic and skewered with rainbow peppers and onions. Put them on a charcoal grill for extra flavor!
Mini Chipotle Lime Shrimp Kabobs
I believe I could probably eat these Mini Chipotle-Lime Shrimp Kabobs everyday as an appetizer! Hmm! Did I just challenge myself to an irrecoverable undertaking?! Well I’m sure this is one I won’t mind one bit!
Let me start by saying, “CHIPOTLE!” If you are not familiar with this smoky pepper, please, oh please give it a try! If you are familiar, then you already understand my love for it! A Chipotle pepper is a smoked-dried jalapeno mostly used in Mexican Cuisine. As the popularity of Tex-Mex dishes has grown in the United States, so has the supply of these wondrous peppers. These peppers have a “very” distinctive smoky flavor.
The common jalapeno pepper we are used to seeing in the supermarket is the unripened “green” jalapeno in the produce section usually laying beside the cilantro. Chipotle though, is made with ripened “red” jalapenos. Which are then placed in smoking chambers for several days until the chipotles have completely dried. From this point they are manufactured into different compositions such as chipotle pods, chipotle ground powder and chipotle en adobo. These are the ones we will use for this recipe!
“Chipotle en Adobo,” or chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, are smoked-dried chipotles in a can that have been stewed in a sauce with tomatoes, different herbs and seasonings. Lucky for me, I can find these in the Latin section at my local supermarket. I’m sure this wouldn’t be to hard for you to find as well. If you find yourself having a hard time finding Chipotles, look in the International Foods section of your supermarket. You should be able to find them quite easily. If you are having a hard time finding them and are truly determined to try these unique jalapenos, do not despair. These earthy, spicy peppers can be bought online!
Now unto these mini succulent skewers!
- 1 lb raw large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce finely chopped (may want to use gloves, spicy) can also substitute with a quarter teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cloves fresh garlic finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 green bell pepper chopped in square chunks
- 1 yellow pepper chopped in square chunks
- 1 red pepper chopped in square chunks
- 1 yellow onion chopped in square chunks
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 package mini wooden skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes
Combine all ingredients in glass bowl or ziplock bag and toss to coat. Add shrimp, stir. Marinate for 20 minutes in refrigerator. Do not marinate longer because the acid in the lime juice will start to cook shrimp.
To assemble, thread one shrimp and one piece of each vegetable. Repeat process until skewer is almost full leaving about an inch of skewer so one can hold and hold onto while eating.
- Cook shrimp skewers on inside house grill or cook on outside grill for a few minutes on each side until shrimps are pink and vegetables are a crisp and slighty charred. Serve on platter for everyone to enjoy.