This Caldo Gallego is just an amazingly delicious rustic comforting soup. Made with hard chorizo, ham steak, bacon, northern beans, onions, potatoes, serrano pepper, fresh garlic, napa cabbage and kale in a savory chicken broth. Just amazing!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 30 mins
Total Time2 hrs 35 mins
- 1 lb ham steak or cooking ham cut into half inch cubes
- 1/4 lb bacon half a pack (cut into inch slices)
- 3.5 lb hard chorizo (I used Portugese chorizo) cut in half and sliced
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch napa cabbage cut into 2 inch slices
- 1 bunch kale stems discarded and coarsely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper finely chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 quart water
- 1 can northern beans drained
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, add bacon, ham and chorizo. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
Then add sliced onion and cook until translucent. About 2 minutes or so.
Add serrano pepper and garlic and cook for a minute.
Add chicken stock, water and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and lower the hit to a simmer. Cover pot and cook for 2 hours.
Remove the end root part of the napa cabbage. Slice down the middle and chop.
Chop kale to you reach the stems. Discard stems.
After two hours taste soup and add salt to taste, add the potatoes and beans. Cook for 20 minutes.
Add napa cabbage and cook for 15 minutes. Finally add kale and cook for an additional 5 minutes or so. Soup is done! Yummy!
Serve in bowls and garnish with avocado slices (optional).
Serving: 6g | Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 1556mg | Potassium: 1019mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 985IU | Vitamin C: 48.8mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 4.2mg