Habichuelas Guisadas (Puerto Rican Beans)
These authentic Habichuelas Guisadas (Puerto Rican Beans) are just delicious! Made with ham or smoked ham hocks, red or pink beans, sofrito and delicious spices in a savory tomato sauce with olives and potatoes. Serve alongside white or yellow rice. A true Puerto Rican staple to most rice dishes! Excellent!
- 2 15.5 oz cans red or pink beans rinse and drain (optional), I use Goya brand
- 4 cups (approx) water I just fill the cans with water to measure
- 4 ounces tomato sauce or 1 heaping tsp of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup ham steak cubed
- 1/2 pound potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/3 cup onions chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 2-3 tbsp pimiento stuffed olives
- 2 heaping tbsp of Puerto Rican sofrito
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped or thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro optional if you don't like cilantro
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 packet Sazón with Coriander and Annatto (Culantro y Achoite) found in the Latin section
- 1/2 tsp Adobo found in the Latin section
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
In a saucepan or caldero add a 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Saute the ham.
Add sofrito and stir fry with ham for 2 minutes.
Then add the pepper and onions. Cook until slightly translucent.Add garlic and cook for a minute.
Add tomato sauce or paste, olives, cilantro and spices and water.
Add beans and potatoes and season with salt to taste. Cook for 30 minutes.
Top with fresh cilantro once done. Done.
Serve alongside white or yellow rice with pork, chicken, beef or seafood.
Note* If you do not have any homemade sofrito or are not in the mood to make any, you can purchase store bought ready sofrito by Goya brand in a red jar.
You can also use one smoked ham hock, ham bouillon or smoked kielbasa instead of ham.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 318kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 1784mg | Potassium: 2341mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 2340IU | Vitamin C: 122.1mg | Calcium: 132mg | Iron: 11mg