Habicuelas Guisadas con Calabaza (Puerto Rican Stewed Beans with Pumpkin)
These Habichuelas Guisadas con Calabaza (Puerto Rican Stewed Beans with Pumpkin) are the perfect companion to a multitude of Puerto Rican rice dishes and pair excellent with any meat or seafood. A true Puerto Rican staple!
- 2 cans red or pink beans or one large 1lb 13 oz can rinsed and drained, I use Goya brand
- 4 cups water
- 4 ounces tomato sauce or 1 heaping tsp of tomato paste
- ¼ cup ham steak (or 1 smoked ham hock, ham bouillon (1 packet) or 1/4 cup smoked kielbasa sausage
- ½ lb potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- ½ lb acorn squash rinsed and cut into large chunks
- ⅓ cup onions chopped
- ½ cup green pepper chopped
- 2-3 tbsp pimiento stuffed olives
- 2 heaping tbsp of Puerto Rican sofrito
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped or thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro optional if you don't like cilantro
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 1 packet Sazón with Coriander and Annatto (Culantro y Achoite) found in the Latin section
- ½ tsp adobo found in the Latin section
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
In a saucepan or caldero add 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Saute the ham for 2 minutes stirring.
Add sofrito and stir fry with ham for 2 minutes.
Add the pepper and onions. Cook until slightly translucent and add garlic. Cook for a minute.
Add tomato sauce or paste, olives, cilantro, spices and water.
Rinse acorn squash and cut half of the acorn into large chunks, making sure to remove seeds. Set aside for now.Note: You can keep the skin on because once beans are cooked, the skin falls off easily when eating. Add beans and potatoes and season with salt to taste.Cook beans for 25 minutes.
Add the pumpkin pieces to the pot and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until pumpkin and potatoes are tender.
Top with more fresh cilantro once beans are done.*Serve your Habichuelas Guisadas with any of the rice dishes included in post or rice and meat or seafood of your choice for a complete meal.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 655mg | Potassium: 906mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 528IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 4mg