This Caldo de Pollo recipe (Mexican Chicken Soup) recipe is perfect anytime. Made with chicken, carrots, onions, green cabbage, potatoes, jalapeños, corn cob pieces, garlic, cilantro and then topped with freshly squeezed lime juice. Delicious and really easy to make!
Caldo de Pollo (Mexican Chicken Soup) seems to always make its appearance in my home. Whether the weather is cold, rainy or even if its sunny outside, chicken soup is just always welcomed! 🙂
There’s just something about soup that is always so comforting and perfect to have anytime of the year.
Because there is nothing more comforting than a bowl of soup!
So why wait to have caldo de pollo?
Why wait until the weather is really cold or until you’re feeling under the weather to make a tasty comforting chicken soup? Isn’t that what people always seem to say when it’s cold outside or someone in the family is feeling sick? “Oh, I’m going to make some chicken soup today!”
I love soups, period! And I especially like to make different soups and freeze them so whenever I get in the mood, walla! I can just defrost it and its ready to go!
And this caldo de pollo is absolutely no exception to that!
It’s such an easy soup to put together, make a big batch and enjoy some the day you prepare it and then freeze the rest.
Within 30 minutes you will have either a meal, or a tasty snack or appetizer to serve before any meal.
It’s really truly perfect anytime!
Caldo de Pollo Ingredients and Seasoning
- whole chicken quartered or drum sticks and thighs
- chicken broth
- garlic cloves
- green cabbage
- corn on the cob pieces
- salt and pepper
How to Make Caldo de Pollo (Mexican Chicken Soup)
- After rinsing the chicken, season simply with a little salt and pepper.
- Set aside and chop all the vegetables.
- In a large pot or caldero (dutch oven) add 8 cups of chicken broth and set stove on medium high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces, onions, jalapeño slices and garlic to broth.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 15 minutes and then add the carrots, potatoes, green cabbage, corn and cilantro.
- Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve caldo de pollo in bowls by itself or with a side of white rice, corn tortillas or crusty bread. Sprinkle freshly squeezed lime juice over soup.
Cook Caldo de Pollo in a Slow Cooker
Want to set it and forget it? Put chicken and all other ingredients except potatoes and cabbage in a slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours.
After two hours add potatoes and cabbage.
Cook for another 2-3 hours.
What to Serve Caldo de Pollo With
Have this comfort soup by itself or with white rice, warm tortillas or crusty bread.
For other delicious chicken soup recipes, you may like these:
- 6-8 pieces of chicken thighs and drumsticks rinsed and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 carrots sliced
- 1 cup green cabbage shredded
- 6 small corn on the cob pieces
- 3 potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 jalapeños sliced
- handful of fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- salt and pepper to taste
- white rice (optional)
- corn tortillas (optional)
- crusty bread (optional)
Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Set aside and chop all the vegetables.
In a large pot or caldero (dutch oven) add 8 cups of chicken broth and set stove on medium high heat.
Add the chicken pieces, onions, jalapeño slices and garlic to broth.
Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.
Cook for 15 minutes and then add the carrots, potatoes, green cabbage, corn and cilantro. Lower heat to medium heat.
Cook for another 15 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are tender.
Serve caldo de pollo in bowls by itself or with a side of white rice, corn tortillas or crusty bread. Sprinkle with freshly squeezed lime juice and top with a little more chopped cilantro over soup.
Although the soup will be ready within 30 minutes, I prefer to cook it for an additional 15 minutes so the flavors really blend well and chicken is really tender and almost falling off of bones. Absolutely delicious!