This recipe of Bisteces Rancheros (Steak Ranchero) is sure to be a family pleaser! Tender pieces of steak surrounded by onions, chiles, tomatoes and slivers of potatoes, all engulfed in a delicious tomato sauce blend. Ready in 30 minutes!
Also known as Bisteces con Papas (Steaks with Potatoes) and very similar to Bistec a la Mexicana, this is one of the easiest Mexican recipes, you will ever make and deliciously savory!
Simply slice your favorite steak thinly and quickly sear. Add a few tasty ingredients like peppers, onions, tomatoes, and a few Mexican seasonings and viola! You’ll have yourself a highly flavorful dish the whole family will love!
Reasons to Love this Recipe
- Easy – With minimal, easy to access ingredients, this recipe comes together in 30 minutes making it a perfect weeknight meal!
- Versatile – This recipe calls for a poblano pepper, and either a jalapeño or serrano pepper. If you can’t find poblano peppers, use green bell peppers. If you don’t like spicy foods, skip on the jalapeño chiles!
- Vegetables – Although this recipe is usually made with just peppers, onions and tomatoes, feel free to add other vegetables like broccoli florets and peas.
- A Meal on its Own – Sure you can have this dish on its own, but for a full traditional Mexican meal, serve it beside corn tortillas and Mexican rice, (recipe, courtesy of “Tastes Better from Scratch.”
- Steak – Choose your favorite steak and slice thinly. I prefer to use skirt steak or ribeye but in a rush, breakfast steak or top round has worked great for me too.
- Peppers – use poblano or green bell peppers. For a spicier dish, add one or two jalapeños. Note: Love really spicy foods? Skip the jalapeños and use serrano peppers instead. In addition, you can make this Jalapeño Salsa or Habanero Tomatillo Salsa and serve on the side.
- Onions – onions always add a lot of flavor to any Latin dish, make sure not to skimp out on these!
- Potatoes – the potatoes can be cooked in a variety of ways for this dish. They can be cooked in the tomato sauce, fried and then added or fried and served beside the dish.
- Tomatoes – Adding tomatoes to this dish, adds not only delicious flavor but amazing texture.
- Mexican Seasonings – seasonings like cumin and oregano, are common and integral in Mexican dishes, this is no exception. Do not skimp out!
- Garlic and Tomato Sauce – infuse these two crucial ingredients for a hyper flavorful sauce.
- Cilantro – nothing replaces fresh cilantro, do not use dried cilantro herb.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
Can I Use Chicken Instead?
- Absolutely! Use chicken breast and either slice it thinly or cut it into chunks.
Can I Add Other Vegetables to this Recipe?
- Add whatever you like or have available. Frozen peas, broccoli florets, zucchini, or mushrooms are all delicious ideas.
Prefer this Dish Spicier?
How to Make Beef Ranchero (¿Como Hacer Bistec Ranchero?)
Step 1: In a large skillet, add oil and heat over medium high heat. Cook the potatoes until cooked through and golden brown on both sides. Drain the potatoes on a paper lined plate. Set in a 200 degree oven to keep warm.
Step 2: Season the steak with salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a skillet, heat over medium heat and add the steak.
Step 3: Quickly sear the steak pieces until cooked to your likely. Once cooked, remove the pieces from the pan and set aside.
Step 4: Add the peppers, onions and jalapeños. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir.
Step 5: Lower heat to medium. Add the tomato, garlic and stir to combine. Cook for 3 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic.
Step 6: Add the tomato sauce, worcestershire sauce, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook for 12-15 minutes. Return the steak to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Top with the potatoes, chopped cilantro and lime wedges to serve.
What to Serve with
Traditionally, you will see this dish served with a side of warmed corn tortillas, avocado slices and fresh chopped cilantro.
Or prepared family style and served with Mexican rice and refried beans, work deliciously.
Skirt steak, sirloin or ribeye sliced thinly work best. Due to their fat marbling, they’re more flavorful and tender. Making these cuts perfect for this recipe.
Use a piece of fatty pork like pork butt and slice thinly or cube into ½ inch pieces.
“Ranchera Meat” or Carne Ranchera, is a cut of meat used often in Mexican Cuisine to make carne asada or grilled meat.
Other Mexican Dishes You Will Love
Did you try this recipe? Please leave a ⭐ review below!
Bisteces Rancheros (Steak Ranchero)
- 1½ pounds skirt steak, sirloin or ribeye can also use breakfast steak or top round cut very thinly
- 2 potatoes peeled, rinsed and cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 onion peeled and sliced
- 1 poblano or green bell pepper rinsed and sliced
- 1 jalapeño rinsed and sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 Roma tomatoes rinsed and quartered
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1-2 limes for serving
- handful fresh cilantro rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil plus more for frying potatoes
- In a large skillet, add oil and heat over medium-high heat. Cook the potatoes until cooked through and golden brown on both sides. Drain the potatoes on a paper-lined plate. Set in a 200-degree oven to keep warm.
- Season the steak with salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a skillet, heat over medium heat and add the steak.
- Quickly sear the steak pieces until cooked to your likely. Once cooked, remove the pieces from the pan and set aside.
- Add the peppers, onions and jalapeños. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir.
- Lower heat to medium. Add the tomato, garlic and stir to combine. Cook for 3 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook for 12-15 minutes. If the sauce is drying out too fast, add ½-1 cup of water.
- Return the steak to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper, add more if needed.
- Top with the potatoes, chopped cilantro and lime wedges to serve.