This Bistec a la Mexicana recipe is a delicious blend of thinly sliced beef strips with garlic, onions, peppers and tomatoes made in a savory spicy chile tomato sauce. Serve with rice or rice and beans and warm tortillas. Super easy dish to prepare. Comfort food at its best!
Bistec a la Mexicana (Steak a la Mexicana), is definitely one of my favorite Mexican beef dishes. Easily prepared and hyper-flavorful.
Hear the words “a la Mexicana” and you should immediately think, Mexican flag colors; red, white and green.
Why? Because traditionally when a dish is prepared “a la Mexicana”
or “Mexican Style” it just means it is made with these colors. White onions, green chiles and tomatoes.
So what exactly is this delicious Mexican dish?
Simply put, it is thinly sliced beef cooked in a spicy savory tomato chile sauce.
Serve this dish with rice and beans and boy oh boy, you will be in a sorta food rhapsody.
You will also see this tasty savory beef served with warm tortillas on the side.
Bistec a la Mexicana is simply comfort food at its best!
How to Make Bistec a la Mexicana
First begin with thinly slicing the beef and season with salt, pepper and garlic. Set aside.
Cut up all the vegetables.
Saute the beef strips.
Add the chopped garlic, serrano peppers and onions to beef.
Add the chopped tomatoes to beef.
While beef and vegetables are cooking, prepare the fresh tomato sauce which literally takes 30 seconds!
Add fresh sauce to pan with all other ingredients and cook for 25 minutes.
What to Serve with Bistec a la Mexicana
For more delicious Beef delicious:
Bisteces Rancheros (Steak Ranchero)
For even more recipes click on beef recipes
Bistec a la Mexicana
- 1 pound sirloin tip steak, cube steak, skirt steak cut into thin slices
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 serrano peppers one chopped and the other one for topping
- 2 roma tomatoes chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ tablespoon Maggi Sauce or Worcestershire Sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoon oil
- chopped cilantro for topping
- 2 roma tomatoes quartered
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano (regular oregano is fine too)
- pinch of salt
- Season the beef strips with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Set aside.
- In a large skillet add oil. Preheat over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Stir fry the beef for about 5 minutes until seared a little.
- Add the chopped onion, one serrano pepper (chopped) and garlic. (Save the other serrano pepper for topping) Stir all together.Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped roma tomatoes and Maggi sauce to pan. Stir well together.
- Add the quartered tomatoes and add to a blender or chopper with ½ a cup of water, oregano and a pinch of salt. Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce into skillet and stir. When sauce comes to a simmer, cover skillet and lower heat. Cook for 25 minutes. Taste for salt. Season with more salt if needed.
- If you notice sauce is to dry, add a little more water.Top dish with chopped cilantro and more serrano pepper (thinly sliced) if you like.
- Serve with white or yellow rice. Could also accompany rice and beans, avocado slices and warm tortillas. Enjoy!