Enjoy this delicious Ensalada de Frutas (Fruit Salad) and also add vibrant color to your brunch or dinner table this holiday season or any other time of the year!
Normally we think of fruit salad as a summer dish. But add the right dressing, use the fruits that are currently in season and enjoy a fruit salad anytime of the year!
Luckily for me the supermarket I go to still had strawberries and blueberries available so I was able to enjoy my salad with a few of my favorite fruits.
Fruit salad is also perfect this time of year because its not only affordable but also so versatile! You can always change it up by adding or omitting certain fruits.
According to where you live, quickly put together a winter or summer fruit salad anytime!
So, don’t worry if you can’t find the fruits that I used in my salad, use whatever fruits are available to you and you like!
Dressing for Fruit Salad
I love easy! That’s what this dressing is, eassssy! But more importantly yummy! The combination of citrus juices and honey helps to bring out all the flavors of all the fruits together and enhances their sweet and fresh flavor perfectly!
And with the holidays around the corner, this ensalada is perfect for bunch or any other holiday meal. It’s colorful and festive and little bit of each fruit goes a long way to feed a crowd.
Kinds of Fruits to Add to Your Ensalada de Frutas
Depending where you live in the world and what season you’re in will dictate the type of fruit salad you can make but here are some ideas.
Summer Fruit Salad
Ingredients for Ensalada de Frutas
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 cup strawberries, rinsed and destemmed
- 1 orange, peeled and cut to your liking
- ½ cup canned pineapple
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed
- 1-2 apples, rinsed, seeded and cut to your liking
- ½ cup chopped pecans or almonds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (use 1-2 limes)
Alternatively, you can use 1 lime and one lemon.
How to Make Ensalada de Frutas (Fruit Salad)
Rinse Fruit: Using a colander, rinse all the fruits.
Remove Seeds: Remove seeds from apple and destem strawberries.
Cut, Slice & Cube: On a cutting board, cut all fruits to your liking.
Dressing: Whisk citrus juices and honey together in a small bowl.
Put Together: Add the fruits and pecans to a bowl. Top with the dressing and stir well together.
Can You Make this Salad Ahead of Time?
Yes you can. Prepare all fruits except the apple and bananas. Cut these an hour or two before you are ready to serve so they do not turn brown in the salad.
Have Leftovers? No Problem!
If you have any leftover fruit salad, use them in a smoothie the next day! Simply add milk, coconut milk or coconut water and have a nutritious smoothie for breakfast!
Not in the mood for a smoothie? Freeze your fruits in a freezer plastic bag and save for future use in a smoothie or cocktail.
Other delicious dessert and side recipes to try!
Fresas con Crema (Mexican Strawberries and Cream)
Mantecaditos (Puerto Rican Cookies)
Ensalada de Frutas (Fruit Salad)
- 2 bananas peeled and sliced
- 1-2 apples rinsed, seeded and cubed or cut to your liking
- 1-2 cups strawberries rinsed, seeded, destemmed and cut in half
- 1 orange peeled and cut to your liking
- 1 cup canned pineapple drained
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans or sliced almonds
Fruit Salad Dressing
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice use one or two limes
Fruit Salad Dressing
- In a small bowl, whish together the juice and honey, set side.
- Once rinsed and cut, add all the fruits to a mixing bowl.
- Add pecans and dressing and stir.Serve immediately or cover and chill for an hour before serving.