This Morisqueta recipe is a delicious Mexican dish consisting of white rice, topped with beans and a savory tomato sauce made with onions, garlic and serrano peppers which is then finished with crumbled queso fresco, Mexican crema and chopped cilantro. Excellent side for any meal or served by itself for a scrumptious Vegetarian dish.
Morisqueta Recipe (Receta)
If you have never heard of Morisqueta, let me first tell you, it is delicious.
This yummy Mexican dish consists of white rice, topped with beans and a savory tomato sauce made with onions, garlic and serrano peppers.
You then top it off with queso fresco and crema Mexicana (Mexican cream) and chopped cilantro.
NOTE: If you cannot find Mexican Cream, you can substitute it with sour cream.
For my morisqueta, I used black beans and also added shredded red cabbage and drizzled it with fresh lime juice.
To taste the most perfect mouthful of morisqueta, you must be sure to get a little bit of each ingredient on your fork.
A little bit of rice, beans, sauce, queso, crema and red cabbage.
Rice Masterpiece! 🙂
Morisqueta makes an excellent vegetarian dish or served as a side dish with pork, beef, chicken or even seafood. Garlicky shrimp would work quite well here! YUM!
In south-western Mexico, Morisqueta is also served with aporreadillo (shredded dried beef).
How to Make Morisquesta
If you already have a cup or 2 of white rice left over from the night before, all you will need to do is to prepare the savory tomato sauce and beans and you will be ready for a delicious serving of Morisqueta.
Begin with blending the tomatoes, onions, serrano peppers and garlic until smooth to form a puree.
Simmer half the sauce in a saucepan or skillet for 10 minutes on medium low heat. Reserve the other half of the sauce for topping. Add drained beans and cook for 5 minutes.
While sauce and beans are cooking, shred the red cabbage.
Serve white rice, top with beans, shredded cabbage, crumbled queso fresco and Mexican crema and chopped cilantro. Serve with lime wedges. Done!
For other delicious rice dishes and other excellent recipes served with rice, you may like:
Arroz Mamposteao (special blend of Puerto Rican Rice and Beans)
- 1-2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 can black beans (15 oz) or pinto beans drained
- 4 roma tomatoes rinsed and quartered
- 1 small onion quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-2 serrano peppers rinsed and stem removed, use one pepper or 2 if you like extra spicy
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- salt to taste
- red cabbage shredded
- queso fresco crumble with fingers and add to your liking
- Mexican Crema (or sour cream) sprinkled on top
- 4 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped, add more to your liking
- 1 lime quartered
- Add all ingredients to a blender or chopper and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add half the sauce to a saucepan or skillet and cook sauce over medium heat for 10 minutes. Lower heat if sauce reduces to quickly.
- Add beans to sauce and stir. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Prepare Morisqueta for Serving
- Prepare individual rice plates and top with beans, a few tablespoons of reserved tomato sauce, then shredded cabbage, crumbled queso fresco, Mexican crema, chopped cilantro and a lime wedge.Sprinkle lime juice over rice.Or serve rice buffet style on a large platter or plate with all the toppings and have everyone take their own portion of rice. Serve lime wedges on the side in a separate bowl so each person can take a sliver and sprinkle over rice.