These Savory Pork Mexican Carnitas are deliciously tender and perfectly flavored. Topped with red onions, sliced avocados, queso fresco, hot sauce and cilantro. Excellent!
Savory Pork Mexican Carnitas
Aaaaah carnitas!!!! This appetizer or main dish is all sorts of mouthwatering deliciousness!
Carnitas in spanish means “little meats” and it refers to braised or roasted pork. Absolute yumminess!
But there is a process to having savory pork Mexican carnitas because you see…
A lot of people claim that their “carnitas” come out dry. There may be several reasons for that.
Usually they are not adding enough water or chicken broth when cooking the carnitas. Another reason is they are cooking the pork for a short amount of time.
That’s probably one of the biggest culprits…time.
I’ve seen that time and time again where we become a little impatient and cut down on the cooking time. But if you want the best savory pork Mexican carnitas, it’s best not to do this.
And flavoring the carnitas is super important too!
For example in Michoacan, Mexico the people season the pork with bay leaves, thyme and marjoram. In other regions in Mexico they add black pepper, garlic, chicken broth, coke or beer.
My carnitas are flavored with lots and lots of garlic, I love garlic!
Start with garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, oregano and olive oil. Add to a chopper or blender.
and chop, chop or blend, blend away. 😊 Form a paste.
Chop the pork shoulder into 2 inch pieces, leaving the fat and skin on if you don’t mind that sort of thing….makes them taste better my friends…promise!
Add pork to a large pot with the garlic mixture,
Add chicken broth to cover and bay leaves.
Pork will start to cook down and smell amazing!! Oh so good!
Prepare your toppings. Chop red onion, crumble queso fresco, slice avocado and sprinkle with lemon juice so the avocado does not turn brown.
You will end up with these delicious Pork Mexican Carnitas.
Savory Pork Mexican Carnitas
- 5 lb pork shoulder cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 7 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 bay leaves
- chicken broth or water to cover
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro coarsely chopped
- 4 avocados thinly sliced
- mexican queso fresco crumbled
- 1 lemon
- 1 package corn tortillas or flour tortillas
- hot mexican sauce for topping, optional
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano and olive oil to a chopper or blender. Chop and blend.
- Cut pork into 2 inch pieces.
- Over medium heat add vegetable shortening to a deep pot. Add pork and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Then add chicken broth, red wine vinegar, bay leaves and salt.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano and olive oil mixture from chopper. Cook for 1 1/2 hours or until meat is super tender.
- Once pork is done, remove bay leaves.
- Chop cilantro, red onion, crumble queso fresco and slice avocados. Sprinkle some lemon juice over avocado slices so they do not discolorate.
- Warm tortillas a couple at a time in microwave for a few seconds.
- Assemble tortillas with some of the pork.
- Top with onions, avocado slices, cheese and cilantro. You can also sprinkle some lemon juice over carnitas and top with hot sauce if you like. Enjoy!
Although these delicious carnitas take a little time to prepare, you will not be disappointed with these carnitas!
You may also like these vegan carnitas, by Veggie Society.