You will love this Sopa de Hongos /Mushroom Soup recipe. Hyper flavorful broth. Made with thinly sliced mushrooms, chicken broth, garlic, onions, guajillo peppers, kale and succulent shrimp (optional). The perfect starter to any meal. Absolutely delicious!
“Sopa de Hongos” or Mushroom Soup, is so, so good! Oh my goodness, I cannot express enough how much I love this soup and how this soup is truly one of my favorites! It’s absolutely delicious! It’s heavenly, tasteful and beyond yummy!
This soup is so light and so pleasant to have anytime of the year. Warm outside, perfect, make Sopa de Hongos, cold outside, perfect make Sopa de Hongos. Want a light appetizer, perfect! Sopa de Hongos! Having
a small dinner party for some family and friends? Again, Sopa de Hongos! This soup is just a great start to any meal or even as an entree. Just serve it with some crusty bread and walla, it’s a meal!
For all you mushroom lovers out there that really enjoy mushroom soup recipes, this is certainly a must try! Don’t expect this soup to be anything like a creamy mushroom soup because it is nothing like that. It is light and brothy and just perfect! It’s a comfort soup in its own right.
Annnnnd, if you like you can add pieces of chicken or beef. Or you can add shrimp like I did to make it even heartier.
Whatever you you’re in the mood for, just add it in there.
Oh and the kale is so nice in this soup! Normally in this kind of Mexican soup, you would probably add epazote instead of kale but in my region of the world, it’s not always or so easily available so I substitute kale in its place. Let me tell you it works just great!
One of the spices I add to this soup is dry guajillo peppers. I remove the stems and seeds and cut it into rings. It gives the soup a mild spicy taste and adds extra color to the soup. I suggest you do not eat them though since their skin is a little tough. I add them in this soup to add flavor and color. You can also substitute guajillo chili pepper powder if you like.
A guajillo pepper only rates 2,500 to 4,000 on the Scoville Heat Unit Scale! So don’t be afraid to use this pepper.
You should be able to find this pepper in your International section of your supermarket. If not you can find them in Mexican grocery stores or can order them online. This pepper is great for making red mexican sauces….like enchilada sauce!
So here’s to Sopa de Hongos!
Sopa de Hongos (Mushroom Soup)
- 1 lb white mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2-4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 3 dry guajillo peppers stem and seeds removed, cut into rings
- 2 tablespoon butter do not use margarine please
- 1 bunch Kale rinse and only use leaves, discard tough stems
- 32 ounces chicken broth (vegetable broth if making vegetarian)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb raw shrimp peeled and devein
- In a pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add guajillo rings, garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp (if adding shrimp) and kale. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve soup in bowls. Enjoy!
Want more delicious soups? click here → soups
Here is a sneak peek!
Let me know when you will be making sopa de hongos…