These Tacos de Tinga are made with shredded chicken, tomatoes, onions, garlic, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, served in warm corn tortillas and topped with chopped onions, fresh cilantro and avocado cubes. Simple and hyper-tasty!
These Tacos de Tinga are simply delicious and super simple to make.
“Tinga” simply refers to shredded chicken, beef or pork cooked in a tomato based sauce with onions, garlic and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
The chipotle peppers in adobo sauce offers a tantalizing smoky flavor to any tacos de tinga recipe you make and lingers on your palate as you go for that next bite!
I have decided to make these tacos de tinga with chicken. Hence chicken tinga tacos (tinga de pollo)! I figured what better way to use some leftover chicken breasts from the night before!
Tacos de tinga originated in the Mexican state of Puebla and if you have never made or had chicken tinga tacos you will soon realize how yummy they truly are.
They are super easy to make and the tinga can be use in a variety of dishes such as chicken empanadas, chicken nachos, chicken tinga tostaditas and chicken sopes just to mention a few.
And if you’re planning a little get together or maybe a taco party, definitely think about making tacos de tinga. A little bit goes a long way and can be made in advance which cuts down the stress time! Offer your guests the tacos de tinga buffet style!
Just offer some toppings like avocado cubes/slices, chopped onions, crumbled queso fresco, iceburg shredded lettuce, sliced radishes, mexican crema, sour cream and some salsa. Some cold beer. Done! Time for some stress free fun time!
How to make Tacos de Tinga/ Chicken Tinga Tacos
- Boil chicken breasts and shred
- Saute sliced or chopped onions and garlic
- Add chopped tomatoes
- Add chicken, chopped chipotle peppers in adobo, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes
(Getting ready to add my chipotle peppers)
and….if you’re not in the mood to boil some chicken breasts, some precooked rotisserie chicken works great .
P.S. If you’re not sure where to find chipotle peppers in adobo sauce just check your ethnic or international aisle in your local Walmart or supermarket. It will be right in the Mexican food section.
TACOS DE TINGA
- 2 chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken (boiled and shredded)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2-3 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium onion sliced and cut into half moons or simply chop
- 2 large garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- dash of cumin not too much or cumin will over power tinga
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- corn tortillas
- lime wedges
- chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-2 avocados sliced in half, pitted and cubed
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
FOR TOPPINGS (OPTIONAL)
- queso fresco crumbled
- lettuce shredded
- tomatoes chopped
- In a pot over medium heat boil chicken breasts in water for 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.Remove breasts and reserve about a cup of chicken stock. Let chicken cool then shred breasts with two forks.
- In a pan over medium heat add the oil and onions. Cook until translucent and then add garlic. Cook for another minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook until they release some of their juices.
- Add oregano and a dash of cumin.
- Add chicken and chopped chipotle peppers with 1/2 cup chicken broth.Mix all well and add salt to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Allow liquid to reduce some but not enough to dry the chicken tinga.Taste and add more salt if needed and/or adobo sauce from chipotle peppers for more heat if desired.
If adding more adobo sauce to increase heat, mix well again and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Warm tortillas in a pan or microwave for 20-30 seconds.Top tortilla with tinga and chopped onions, avocado and a sprinkle of lime juice.
Add additional toppings as well if using.
Leave a Reply