This Ensalada de Coditos (con Pollo), Macaroni Salad (with Chicken) also known as Coditos Pasta, Pasta de Coditos or plain old Coditos is yummy, easy and simply made with just a few ingredients and can be on your dinner table in 30 minutes or less! Depending how fast you chop those onions!😄
In Latin culture it is common place to serve ensalada de coditos (macaroni salad) along with ensalada de papa (potato salad) throughout the year especially on the holidays.
It is not a dish that is served solely for the summer or at BBQ’s or just served buffet style for a gathering.
That may be due to the simplicity these salads provide us.
In 30 minutes or so, you have a delicious salad that’s inexpensive and goes a long way!
Especially helpful when you have a large family or group to feed.
And this here Ensalada de Coditos is especially simplistic with only 5 ingredients that you currently most likely already have at home!
Due keep in mind, this is not your traditional macaroni salad that you may be used too.
There is no vinegar, no mustard, no sweet pickle juice, no sugar and it doesn’t need to sit for a few hours for all the flavors to meld either.
It is quick, simple but delicious!
What Can I Add to Ensalada de Coditos
What’s wonderful about this salad is its simplicity of ingredients.
With just a few ingredients you can bring this salad together.
You don’t need peas, carrots, celery, broccoli, ham and a whole bunch of other extras.
And truthfully with what the world is going through these days, the simpler the ingredients the better, right?
But one thing is for sure, we never want bland food!
So although this ensalada has a few ingredients, don’t let that fool you!
Although, no worries, if the mood strikes you and you would like to add even more yummy goodness, well here are some ideas:
- Chopped ham cubes
- Canned tuna
- Boiled eggs
- Green, red or yellow chopped bell pepper
- Red onions
Ingredients You Will Need
- ½ lb macaroni elbow pasta
- 1 chicken breast
- red onion
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Ensalada de Coditos con Pollo
Cook both chicken and pasta at the same time in separate pots.
Rinse and cut up the chicken breast into 3 large pieces (cooks quicker!)
Add enough water to a saucepan to cover chicken breast and cook for 15 -20 minutes over medium high heat.
Turn off stove and drain water from saucepan. Allow chicken to cool on a cutting board for a few minutes.
Using two forks, shred chicken or use a knife and cut chicken into small cubes.
Simply follow cooking instructions on box.
Once pasta is cooked, drain water and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Chop the scallions and red onion.
Once pasta has cooled for a few minutes (I like to let it cool for a few minutes before adding mayonnaise):
In a large bowl or cool pot, mix the pasta, chicken, mayonnaise, red onion and scallions.
Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle some paprika on top.
Serve immediately or cover and allow to cool in the refrigerator.
How Long Will Ensalada Last in Refrigerator
If you and your family do not gobble up the ensalada all in one day, simply cover with saran wrap and place in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
NOTE: When serving the next day, you may want to add a little more mayonnaise to burst the creaminess again.
Can I Freeze Ensalada de Coditos
No, I do not advise to freeze this salad as freezing will change the consistency and alter the taste of the salad.
That’s it folks, I hope you love and enjoy this yummy, tasty salad.
For more yummy side dishes, you will also love these:
Tortitas de Papa (Potato Fritters)
Platanos Fritos (Puerto Rican Sweet Plantains)
Garlic Tostones (Fried Green Plantains)
Sorullitos (Fried Corn Sticks)
DON’T FORGET TO: ↓
Ensalada de Coditos (con Pollo)
- ½ lb elbow pasta
- 1 chicken breast boiled, shredded or chopped into small cubes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼-1/3 cup red onion chopped
- 2 scallions rinsed and chopped
- paprika sprinkled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook both chicken and pasta at the same time in separate pots.Rinse and cut up the chicken breast into 3 large pieces (cooks quicker!)Add enough water to a saucepan to cover chicken breast and cook for 15 -20 minutes over medium high heat.Turn off stove and drain water from saucepan. Allow chicken to cool on a cutting board for a few minutes.Using two forks, shred chicken or use a knife and cut chicken into small cubes.
- Simply follow cooking instructions on box.Once pasta is cooked, drain water and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Once pasta has cooled for a few minutes (I like to let it cool for a few minutes before adding mayonnaise):In a large bowl or pot, mix the pasta, chicken, mayonnaise, chopped red onions and scallions.Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle some paprika on top.Done!Serve immediately or cover and allow to cool in the refrigerator.