This Mexican Black Bean Soup is so delicious. The combination of the beans, ham hocks and smoky spices all come together so well creating an amazing soup topped with queso fresco, cilantro and serrano slivers.
This Mexican Black Bean Soup recipe may require a little bit of time to cook but, well worth it.
Any soup that offers a lot of inviting flavors to the palette, is more than okay in my book even if it takes a little bit of cooking time.
That being said, this Mexican black bean soup is truly delicious. Black bean soup just doesn’t disappoint. With a depth of flavor that forms as the beans cook.
All the flavors come together really well in this soup….
The ham hocks, peppers, onion, garlic, bay leaves, cilantro and all the smoky spices, just work really well together.
What’s best is once this soup is done and you ladle into your bowls, you can make it even more delicious. Add some chopped onion, scallions, chopped bell peppers, avocado chunks, sour cream, hot sauce etc…
For my version of MEXICAN BLACK BEAN SOUP, I add, crumbled queso fresco, chopped cilantro and very thinly sliced serrano peppers! A little heat is just wicked in this soup!
Although serrano peppers, rate 5,000 to 23,000 Scoville Units; about 5 times higher than the jalapeño, in this dish, thinly sliced and tossed on top of your soup….they gently provide heat. Just a few pieces is all you need. (They’re especially delicious in this soup stir fried a little in a tablespoon of olive oil)
Remember, I enjoy some heat but if you’re not like me, just exclude it, this is totally optional. But if you do, remember just a few very thinly sliced pieces.
So let’s get this on!
The weather calls for a nice warm comfort soup!
NOTE: You can also add some of this wondrous concoction on top of white, yellow rice with dinner as well!! Ohhh, soo yummy!!
Mexican Black Bean Soup
- 1 lb dry black beans (could also use 3 (15 oz) cans of black beans and skip first step of soaking beans) pick through the beans and discard any debris, then soak overnight
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 5 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 dry bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 serrano peppers (optional) thinly sliced
- 12 oz queso fresco crumbled
- salt to taste
- Empty beans into a bowl. Pick through and discard any debris. Rinse beans and soak overnight with enough water to cover beans. The following day, rinse beans and set aside.
- In a large pot add about 3 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the vegetables and garlic and saute for a few minutes.
- Add ham hocks, cumin, oregano, bays leaves, vinegar, chicken stock and finally the beans. Add salt to taste.
- Cook for about 2 to 3 hours over medium heat (keep an eye on them and add water as needed if beans start to thicken up too much.)
- Beans will be done once they are tender.
Final Step for the Best Mexican Black Bean Soup
- Once beans are done, remove and discard bay leaves.
- Remove ham hocks and cut meat from hocks, set aside.
- In a blender, puree the black beans (will have to do in batches). You may have to add some water to get the beans pureed.
- Bring bean puree back to pot, add additional water a little at a time until you get the consistency you are looking for. Everyone is different. Some like it thicker, some like it thinner.
- Add ham hock meat and stir soup. Heat through on low to medium heat for a few minutes.
- Serve soup with crumbled queso fresco, cilantro and sliced serrano if using. Enjoy!
I can’t wait to hear your comments about this amazing MEXICAN BLACK BEAN SOUP. Promise this recipe will not disappoint!
For more delicious Mexican Soups, click here.
Here’s a sneak peek….
Sopa de Camarones (Shrimp Soup)