This Deviled Crab is moist and absolutely delicious. Made with lump crab meat, white wine, fresh bread crumbs, butter, onions, red peppers, scallions, fresh garlic, jalapeño or serrano pepper. The pepper adds a hint of heat that enhances the crab flavor. Excellent!
So you’re thinking of making Deviled Crab? I will tell you that you will not be disappointed with this Mexican appetizer!
It’s awful when you make stuffed crab or deviled crab and realize it didn’t quite turn out the way you had hoped. The condiments you used just didn’t blend or combine well together. But what’s even worse is this delicious treat turning out dry!
This has occurred to me a time or two following certain recipes or while testing out certain recipes.
However, this deviled crab recipe offers the best combinations of two things. It’s absolutely delicious, full of flavor and perfectly moist too! This recipe is so good!
I simply used 1 pound of lump crabmeat added some onion, red bell pepper, serrano pepper, white wine, scallions, fresh bread crumbs, egg, ground sage, butter and of course garlic.
And if you don’t like to much heat, do not use the whole serrano pepper.
Here’s a little a trick for you too, if you are like me and eat seafood as much as I do, then next time you buy blue crabs at your fish market, save the shells!! Clean them out with some dishwashing liquid and then boil them in some water to sterilize for 10 minutes and you’re set! Use them to stuff your crab mixture to make your delicious Deviled Crab!!!
For now no worries, if you don’t have shells to stuff, just make them into balls and flatten them out like your basic crab cakes.
Or if you have scallop shells, use those. Scallop shells can be found nowadays at Walmart in the crafts section. Or maybe Pier 1 is an option for you, that’s where I bought mine.
So let’s get to this absolutely delicious appetizer…yummy deviled crab.
- 1 lb lump crab meat
- 1 cup onion chopped finely
- 1/2 cup red pepper chopped finely
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/4 cup flat parsley finely chopped
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon sprinkle over shells/patties
- 6 crab shells or form crab mix into patties
- In a skillet, over medium heat, add olive oil. Then add onion, red pepper and serrano (or jalapeno pepper) pepper. Mix well and cook for a few minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add crab, bread crumbs, wine, butter, whisked egg, sage and parsley. Combine and stir immediately so egg does not scramble. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Add more butter if desired.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Fill shells with mixture or form into balls and then flatten to form 1/2 inch patties. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve crab with lemon wedges to sprinkle. Enjoy!
Let me know what you think!