These Smoky Black Bean Chicken Quesadillas are the perfect appetizer, snack or even for dinner. Made with corn tortillas, tender chicken, black beans, smoky spices, monterey jack cheese, onions, cilantro and a layer of chipotle mayo. Served with a smoky chipotle sauce.
Shall we indulge in some Smoky Black Bean Chicken Quesadillas this weekend? How about serving these yummy wedges with a smoky chipotle sauce. It would only be fitting right?!
These quesadillas are pretty
simple to make with only a few combo of ingredients. Maybe add such things as chicken, monterey cheese, garlic, onions, chili powder, cumin, black beans and cilantro? And maybe a smoky dip to accompany these quarters? Yes, I think so!!
It’s always a good idea to have a delicious quesadilla recipe up your sleeve for that unexpected crave. Especially a quesadilla recipe that you most likely will have all the ingredients already in your fridge or pantry. One definite suggestion I have and one I follow true to myself, is keeping a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in my pantry. There’s just so much you can do with these peppers.
So make sure to always have a can of these peppers in your pantry and you will have endless options!
How to Make Smoky Black Bean Chicken Quesadillas
Start with already cooked chicken or boil some chicken thighs or breasts for 15-20 minutes and get this quesadilla party started.
Cut up the chicken into small pieces or shred. Bring chicken to a skillet and add the smoky spices, onions, fresh garlic, black beans and cilantro.
Make the smoky chipotle sauce and assemble the corn tortillas by spreading about 2 tablespoons of chipotle sauce on one side of a corn tortilla, top with monterey cheese.
Add the black bean chicken mixture, extra cilantro and finish with another tortilla.
Carefully crisp quesadillas on both sides in a skillet allowing the cheese to melt. Quarter quesadillas and served with the smoky chipotle sauce/dip. Cheers to Smoky Black Bean Chicken Quesadillas!
Smoky Black Bean Chicken Quesadillas
- corn tortillas
- 8 oz monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 lb chicken thighs skin removed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ onion thinly sliced or chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil (more for cooking quesadillas)
Smoky Chipotle Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- salt to taste
Smoky Chipotle Sauce
- Add all ingredients to a chopper or blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, boil chicken with enough water to cover and cook for 15-20 or until juices run clear.
- Remove chicken from saucepan and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Shred chicken with two forks or cut chicken into small cubes. Discard bones.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add oil and cook onion until translucent. About 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir and cook for a minute.
- Add chicken, spices and beans. Stir and add salt to taste. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Add cilantro and stir again. Check for salt. Black Bean and chicken mixture is done.
Assembly of Quesadillas and Cooking
- Take one corn tortilla and spread about 2 tablespoon of the smoky chipotle sauce on tortilla.
- Sprinkle desired amount of monterey jack cheese on top.
- Add black bean chicken mixture and spread evenly.
- Repeat procedure and continue with more quesadillas.
- Top with another tortilla.
- In a pan or skillet over medium heat add cooking spray or 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Carefully add one quesadilla at a time and cook until golden brown on one side.
- Carefully flip quesadilla with a spatula and cook on the other side until golden brown. (may need to add a little more oil or cooking spray).
- Drain on paper towels and proceed with the other quesadillas.
- If desired keep quesadillas in a warm oven until done with all.
- Cut quesadillas into quarters and serve with the rest of the smoky chipotle sauce. Enjoy!