These Tilapia en Papillote Packets (Tilapia in Parchment Packets) or “Pescado Empapelado” are nothing less than delicious! Tilapia fillets are steamed and cooked in parchment packets with green zucchini, yellow squash, onions, tomatoes, chives, fresh garlic, paprika, butter, and lemon wedges creating a savory broth. Excellent lunch or meal.
Well, I’m back on my seafood kick this week because these Tilapia en Papillote Packets (Tilapia in Parchment Packets) are right on key!
The tilapia is baked in their individual parchment packets, loaded with yummy veggies, garlic, butter, and lemon slices.
The yummy tilapia concoction is then steamed and cooked in its own juices giving off a savory broth that the Gods themselves will want to come and savor.
There’s just something about combining delicious ingredients all in one little packet and allowing it to do its own thing. The outcome just never seems to disappoint!
It works its unique magic just like a slow cooker does for ribs or chicken.
Add whatever combination of ingredients to your own personal “cooking unit” and life all of a sudden just seems to become simpler. All the ingredients come together so well and transform into an amazing meal.
What Other Kind of Fish Can I Use for this Recipe?
You can use whatever cut of fish you prefer.
These are some delicious ideas.
- chilean sea bass (a favorite!)
Any firm bodied flaky fish works great for this style of cooking.
- tilapia fillets or fish of your choice
- zucchini sliced
- yellow squash sliced
- roRomaomatoes sliced or chopped
- sliced onions
- thinly sliced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- parchment paper or foil
How to Make Tilapia en Papillote Packets (Pescado Empapelado)
I made these Tilapia en Papillote Packets with 2 tilapia fillets, seasoned simply with salt and pepper, and then laid the fillets on a bed of zucchini and yellow squash.
Then top with another layer of zucchini and yellow squash. I now also added quartered slices of tomatoes and onions…
followed by fresh garlic, chives, lemon juice, lemon wedges, paprika, and butter.
Enclosed is my little Tilapia en Papillote Packets…
and baked at 4ooF for 15 minutes.
Split open your own personal Tilapia en Papillote Packet and feel free to serve and enjoy this delectable tilapia right from here or…
plate if you like but do not forget to top your tilapia with the savory juices! This is my favorite! You can drink this stuff!!
For a different twist, you may want to try this French variation by Cooksmarts.
Can You Top with Other Veggies?
Top the tilapia fillets with whatever veggies you like. Below are some ideas.
- carrot strips
- sliced mushrooms or mushroom caps
- chopped celery
- thinly sliced red onions
- asparagus pieces
- use lime wedges instead of lemon
Tilapia en Papillote Packets (Tilapia in Parchment Packets)
- 1 lb tilapia fillets about 6 fillets (2 per person)
- 1 green zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 yellow squash thinly sliced
- 3 roma tomatoes sliced and quartered
- 1 onion cut in half and thinly sliced
- couple sprigs of chives chopped
- 3 cloves fresh garlic thinly sliced
- 6-9 tbsp stick butter
- 3 lemons 2 lemons will be juiced and one quartered
- paprika sprinkled
- salt and pepper to taste
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse tilapia fillets and season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Prepare parchment paper by first cutting a little less than 2 feet for each packet. Fold each sheet in half and place tilapia and veggies centered to one side of the fold of each sheet.
- Form one layer of zucchini and squash opposite to one another and top with 2 tilapia fillets in the center of the paper.
- Top with another layer of zucchini and yellow squash.
- Top with tomatoes, onions, chives and garlic.
- Sprinkle more salt and pepper all over to your liking.
- Repeat process with the other two packets.
- Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons and distribute equally on all three packets.
- Top each packet with 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter.
- To enclose packets, fold the sides first in over lapping folds and then fold the top.
- Place all packets on a tray and cook in the oven for 15 to 17 minutes being careful not to dry fish. You want to keep the tilapia and veggies soaking in the savory broth it creates and the fish to remain tender.
- When done, take packets out of the oven and serve on a platter with lemon wedges. Make an incision in the top and enjoy!Note: Could also serve out of parchment paper onto a plate and topped with the broth.
Leave a Reply