These Chicken Poblano Flautas are the perfect snack, appetizer or meal and perfect for this years “Cinco de Mayo” festivities. Crispy on the outside and all sorts of yummy on the inside. Served with salsa verde and sour cream.
I’m thinking “Cinco de Mayo” food all the way! And nothing screams “Cinco de Mayo” like flautas!
These Chicken Poblano Flautas are just perfect for this
memorable day. Served with salsa verde and sour cream.
What’s Cinco de Mayo”
Many believe that Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexico’s independence day. However, on this day in 1862 the Mexican army defeated French forces in Puebla, Mexico. The victory and pride felt by the people has carried beautiful traditions and of course foods.
However, outside of Mexico, 5 de Mayo sometimes is just another reason to gather with friends and enjoy each others company with lots of adult beverages. Beer, Margaritas anyone? It’s another reason to have guacamole, pico de gallo and other delicious dips with chips. Who doesn’t like that!
These Chicken Poblano Flautas are perfect for such a day. Not only are these delicious but also really easy to make.
I made these yesterday and they were just perfect for my corn tortilla craving! With just a few steps, a few ingredients, you can satisfy yours!
You will need:
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 poblano pepper
- soy sauce
- corn or flour tortillas
- homemade salsa verde (or store bought if you are in a rush, hopefully not!)
Simply start by grilling or boiling some chicken thighs. While the chicken is cooking, roast a poblano pepper and make the salsa verde.
Shred the chicken thighs. Peel charred skin from poblano pepper and remove seeds and stem. Chop pepper and combine both chicken and poblano in a pot over medium heat with soy sauce.
Note: you will not need salt because the soy sauce has enough salt to season chicken.
Add chicken mixture to either corn or flour tortillas.
So lets get this years Cinco de Mayo celebration started with these awesome Chicken Poblano Flautas!
One last thing, for more toppings, you may want to try this Avocado Salsa Verde.
Chicken Poblano Flautas
- 4 chicken thighs boiled, skin removed and shredded
- 5 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 poblano pepper roasted
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 10 corn or flour tortillas
- salsa verde homemade or store bought
- sour cream for topping
- Rinse chicken thighs. Boil in a pot of medium heat for 20 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- Remove chicken from pot and let cool for a few minutes.
- Remove skin. Shred chicken with a fork. Set aside
- Roast poblano pepper in a skillet over medium heat with the tablespoon of oil. Char skin on all sides.
- Remove pepper from heat and let pepper sweat for a few minutes.
- Remove char skin with fingers. Remove stem and seeds.
- Chop pepper.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add chicken and chopped poblano pepper.
- Add soy sauce and chopped garlic. Cook for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Make salsa verde.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of chicken mixture to the center of each tortilla and roll tortillas.
- Add about an inch of oil to a skillet and heat. Fry a few tortillas at a time over medium heat until golden brown on all sides.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve flautas with salsa verde and sour cream.