These Chilaquiles Verdes with Chicken is a great starter to any meal or served as a snack. In Mexico it is also very common to serve chilaquiles for breakfast. Made with corn tortillas, shredded chicken, salsa verde, topped with queso fresco, mexican creme, red onions, chopped fresh cilantro, more salsa verde and served with refried beans and avocado slices. Excellent!
Chilaquiles Verdes con Pollo
Chilaquiles Verdes with Chicken
These Chilaquiles Verdes with Chicken will certainly become one of your favorite Mexican appetizers. Chilaquiles, are very versatile. In Mexico they are served for breakfast with fried or scrambled eggs and refried beans. They are served for lunch with shredded chicken or beef with refried beans and avocado slices or guacamole. Dinner follows the same concept of deliciousness. Bottom line is Chilaquiles Verdes is a staple dish in Mexican households.
But even if you’re a vegetarian you can enjoy this Chilaquiles recipe, just exclude the meat! Whatever the case and whatever the way you choose to serve Chilaquiles Verdes, they are sure to disappear quickly. With or without the chicken.
As a matter of fact these babies are so good that they are even served in what is known as the tornaboda in Mexico. A tornaboda is the after party that follows a wedding reception in the Mexican culture. Different treats and foods are served to keep the guests energized and going after all the festivities and adult beverages that have been consumed throughout the night. 🙂 “Levantar muertos” literally translates “waking up the dead.” Truthfully, I can be woken up to these anytime!
Chilaquiles verdes are also considered a Mexican hangover cure! Hmmm, interesting!
Okay so let’s move on, let me tell you about the salsa verde, ahhhh! the salsa verde! If you have never had Salsa Verde or Green Sauce, please make sure to at least try it here in this recipe. It consists basically of tomatillos, serrano peppers, garlic, maybe some chicken broth and hey if you like you can add cilantro too!
If it’s your first time having green sauce or making this sauce all on your own, I will warn you, it does have some heat because of the serrano peppers so if you like start with half of the serrano pepper and adjust until you find your heat level. Or who knows you may want to add more than what I have recommended here!
Enjoy this great mexican appetizer and remember to let me know how much you love these Chilaquiles Verdes with Chicken!
More recipes made with serrano peppers below recipe.
Recipe and steps ↓
Tomatillos, serrano peppers and garlic.
Add some green sauce.
Add red onion, queso fresco, mexican creme (or dollops of sour cream is fine too) and cilantro.
Introducing Chilaquiles Verdes with Chicken! Enjoy!
Chilaquiles Verdes with Chicken
- 4 chicken thighs skin removed, boil and shredded
- 1/2 cup queso fresco crumbled
- 1/2 cup mexican creme or sour cream
- 16 oz refried beans
- 1/2 red onion cut into thin slices and half moons
- 24 corn tortillas cut into triangles
- 1/3 cup cilantro coarsely chopped
- vegetable or olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- avocado pitted and cut into slices
- lemon or lime sprinkle over avocado slices to avoid discoloration
- 1 lb tomatillos (about 5) husks removed and rinsed
- 1 onion quartered
- 1-3 serrano peppers
- 3 garlic cloves
- Rinse chicken thighs and remove skin. Place chicken in a saucepan with enough water and salt to taste. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken and let cool for a few minutes. Reserve a cup of broth chicken was cooked in. Shred chicken with two forks. Set aside.
Green Sauce/Salsa Verde
- Remove husks off tomatillos. Remove stems of serrano peppers. Peel garlic cloves.
- Cook tomatillos, serrano peppers and garlic cloves in a saucepan with water to cover over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain and add all ingredients to a blender and puree. Add some of the chicken broth to sauce if you prefer to have a thinner sauce.Start with about a 1/4 cup of chicken broth if adding to sauce and add more if you would like it even thinner.
- Cut tortillas into triangles. Heat a cast iron or skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Fry tortilla triangle in batches until golden and crispy. Avoid overcrowding skillet. Drain on paper towels and continue frying triangles until all are cooked. Add oil as needed.
- Wipe skillet with a paper towel. Add half of the green sauce and heat for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Arrange the tortillas triangles on top of sauce. Add shredded chicken and top with more sauce. Stir all together and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Can serve on individual plates and then top each plate with mexican creme, refried beans, crumbled cheese, onion slices, and sprinkle cilantro and finally additional green sauce. Don't forget avocado slices if you're using. Or you can serve right from pot and everyone can add their own toppings. Enjoy!
Here’s just a few more recipes made with serrano peppers:
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think! Do you think you will make this mexican recipe anytime soon?