This Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is delicious, hearty, rustic and just perfect anytime. Made with chicken, poblano peppers, jalapenos, garlic, potatoes, corn, cilantro, topped with avocado and tortilla strips. Awesomely, total comfort food.
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
We all enjoy a warm comforting chicken soup.
Especially when it starts to turn into that time of year, when the weather is cold outside and the leaves have fallen. When the air is thinner and crisper, we especially enjoy chicken soups.
This Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is tasty, rustic and fits under the category of a “great comfort soup.”
Ingredients for a Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
With just a few ingredients and a few steps, you will have a superb soup that tastes even better the next day.
The base of the soup is of course, chicken but, what gives it that beautiful hearty green color (yes green soup!) is cilantro.
Cilantro is heavily used in Mexican and Latin cooking.
If you’re not a lover of cilantro, this soup may not be for you, but if you are, then you will once again join the ranks of cilantro lovers with this healthy chicken tortilla soup.
Poblano peppers is another delicious ingredient in this fabulous comfy soup.
Poblano peppers add a unique richness to Mexican cooking that a regular bell pepper just doesn’t and can’t provide.
Normally you would have to roast a poblano pepper to use in dishes such as my poblano bean dip and cheesy chicken poblano panecillos….but here with this healthy chicken tortilla soup recipe, it’s not a concern.
With this soup, you stir fry the poblano pepper, the onion, jalapeño and garlic and transfer all to a blender or a chopper. Set aside for a few minutes and wait for this delicious chicken soup transformation to come together.
You can either use dark or white chicken meat for this soup.
I used two chicken breasts.
Boil chicken for 15 minutes and allow to cool for a few minutes. Then use two forks to shred chicken.
From this point on my foodie friends, there are two more steps to finish this comfy soup.
In the end you will end up with a fabulous, rich and hearty, tasty chicken soup.
So here’s to a Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe!
For another delicious chicken tortilla soup, try this Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans and Zucchini by The Little Kitchen.
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts boiled and shredded
- 1 large poblano stemmed, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 serrano or jalapeño chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 6 Cups chicken stock
- 2-4 potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 can of corn drained
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper
- corn tortillas
- 1 lime
- 1-2 tablespoon avocados cut in half, remove pit and cube
- Boil chicken breasts for 15 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes.Shred chicken with two forks.
- In a large pot over medium high heat add chopped poblano pepper and onion. Cook for a few minutes or until onion is translucent.Add jalapeno or serrano pepper and minced garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender. Set aside.
For the Soup Part 1
- Add 5 cups of the chicken stock to the pot and add the chicken, cubed potatoes and corn. Simmer for 20-25 or until the potatoes are fork tender.
For Tortilla Strips
- Cut a few corn tortillas into strips.
- Add a few drops of oil to a skillet over medium heat. Fry tortilla strips for a few seconds and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
For the Soup Part 2
- Add one cup of the chicken stock, the cilantro and lime juice to the blender with the pepper, onion and garlic mixture. Blend all until smooth.
- Add mixture to the pot of soup and stir all together. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve soup and garnish with tortilla strips and avocado cubes.Enjoy!
For another delicious chicken soup from Mexican Appetizers and More, try:
Low Carb Chicken Vegetable Soup
Claire Marie says
Couldnt see where cumin was added, so I added it go blender. Delicioud soup though.
Hi Claire! So happy you enjoyed this soup! Thanks for taking the time to let me know! I love it too! 🙂