This Mexican Michelada (Beer Cocktail) recipe is so refreshing and so simple to make for a weekend cocktail change. Made with beer, lemon or lime, tajin, worcestershire sauce, maggi sauce and served with lots of ice. A truly refreshing drink.
So you’re thinking of making a couple of drinks for Friday night company? Or having some friends over on a Saturday afternoon for a barbecue? Well why not make them a Mexican Michelada?
Get a mexican beer like Montejo, Modelo, Dos XX, Tecate or Corona and get your Micheladas on! 🙂
A Mexican Michelada is a very popular beer cocktail in Mexico. Light and refreshing! However, a Michelada recipe that’s made in Mexico varies on how it’s made depending on what region you’re in.
In future posts I will add some of these.
Here’s the thing, this beer cocktail, at first sight or maybe when you hear what the ingredients are, you may do what most everyone does that has never had a Michelada; turn their heads almost in disgust or do the Scooby Doo! You know when he is in shock with what Shaggy wants to do! 🙂
Some of the ingredients involved in making a true Mexican Michelada for those of you that don’t know, can be a little of a shocking factor….but like I always say, everything that looks pleasing and appetizing to the eyes, has to be tried at least once! Well trust me, this will NOT be a once in a lifetime taste!
Some of the ingredients include Maggi Sauce, Tajin, Worcestershire Sauce and lime or lemon. You would think these ingredients would truly alter the flavor of the beer! Nooooooo!!!! It enhances it!!! THENNNN you add the lime to this mixture and FINALLY the beer over lots of ice!!! AHHHH!!!! Truly refreshing!!
There is one thing that I will say to you. Tajin is added to the rim of the glass and if you’re not like me that uses a straw (yes in Mexico they serve this drink with a straw!) you will get a good bit of tajin in your mouth when you drink it! Some love it, some hate it. It’s like the salt that’s added to the glass rim of a margarita. So I suggest you try it both ways if you prefer not to use a straw and see what you like the best. Another alternative is to rim the glass with sea salt or do not add anything.
- 1 12 oz Mexican beer (like Montejo, Dos XX, Modelo, Corona)
- 1 lime could start with half of the lime (juiced and add more if you like)
- 1-2 worcestershire sauce dashes
- 1-2 maggi sauce or soy sauce dashes
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce preferably a Mexican hot sauce, I used Tapatio
- Tajin optional
- salt optional
- ice cubes
- On a small plate, combine some Tajin and salt (just salt if you prefer).
- Rim the glass of a tall beer mug with lime and flip mug over on plate to cover with the Tajin and salt.
- Add the of dash/es of worcestershire sauce, maggi sauce (or soy sauce) to a beer mug/glass and hot sauce. Juice of half of the lime and mix with ingredients.
- Add ice cubes and finally the beer. Stir all together and serve immediately with or without a straw (some people do not like the taste of the Tajin on their lips)Note: Do not allow the beer to water down from ice. Not so good!
Are you going to make a mexican michelada this weekend?