These Mini Stuffed Peppers with Chorizo are the perfect little appetizer for a barbeque or grillout. Made with tri-color stuffed mini peppers with chorizo, queso fresco, garlic, scallions and served with a serrano sauce.
Mini Pimientos Rellenos con Chorizo
Mini Stuffed Peppers with Chorizo
Don’t know what to make tonight for an appetizer? Think about making these tonight. These Mini Stuffed Peppers with Chorizo are extremely easy to make and super tasty.
There’s plenty of stuffed peppers recipes out there on the internet today. Sausage stuffed peppers, beef stuffed peppers, Italian stuffed peppers, stuffed peppers with rice and the list goes on! But these here are just so simple to make with little ingredients, you can whip them up in under 30 minutes or less.
Some chorizo, queso fresco, scallions and sauce. And then there’s the color scheme of these mixed peppers that makes them so inviting and delicately sweet to the palate.
Then quickly stir up a simple serrano sauce to accompany these babies and your set! This sauce may taste spicy without the peppers but when you dunk the peppers into the sauce, holy moly! Something a little magical happens to them. The zest and gusto the serrano sauce brings to these peppers is truly divine.
Last weekend my family and I grilled out and guess what I made as a starter? Yep! these babies! And yes they didn’t last on the tray 5 minutes!! My son who loves raw peppers but doesn’t really like cooked peppers, fell in love with these! He was asking me if I had made more! Unfortunately I hadn’t. Something tells me he will ask me to make these again this weekend.
That’s his hand dunking a pepper in that titillating, yummy sauce…
I made about 24 of these mini stuffed peppers and I surely think he may have eaten half of them! So if you have stuffed pepper lovers in your family, consider buying an extra bag of peppers and chorizo.
So let’s get to it folks!
Rinse and seed peppers. Cut tops off or slice lengthwise.
(Optional: I used toothpicks to attach tops back on after stuffing them)
Roast tomatoes, serrano peppers and garlic until tender and charred.
Mini Stuffed Peppers with Chorizo
- 16 oz tri-color mini peppers about 24 mini peppers (rinsed, seeded, slice tops or lengthwise)
- 8 oz chorizo
- 1 cup queso fresco crumbled
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 garlic finely chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes rinsed and roasted
- 1 small onion quartered
- 2 serrano peppers rinsed, stems removed and roasted
- 1-2 garlic peeled and rosted
- salt to taste
- Rinse peppers. Slice tops off or cut peppers lengthwise. Remove seeds. Set aside.
- Over medium heat cook chorizo until brown. About 5 minutes. Drain chorizo through strainer if it's too oily.
- Add chopped garlic and scallions. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add crumbled cheese and cook until slightly melted.
- Fill each pepper with chorizo mixture and bake in 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- While peppers are cooking, make sauce. Rinse tomatoes and serrano peppers. Remove stems from serrano peppers. Peel garlic.
- Roast tomatoes, serrano peppers and garlic over medium heat in a pan until charred on all sides (can also roast over open flame, broiled or grilled).
- Add all to a blender including onion and blend until smooth. Add about a 1/4 cup of water or less if needed if sauce is too chunky for your liking.
- Add sauce to a bowl and serve with peppers. Enjoy!
For more recipes made with chorizo, you may want to check these other recipes:
Mexican Chorizo Queso Fundido with Homemade Chips
When will you try these Mini Stuffed Peppers with Chorizo? Let me know!
Leave a Reply