This Roasted Poblano Soup (Crema de Poblano or Poblano Crema) is a warm, comforting soup with a slight hint of spiciness. Topped with cilantro, hot sauce, mexican crema or sour cream. Excellent!
Roasted Poblano Soup does something special to the soul. It’s a soup that’s warm, comforting and offers a hint of spiciness all in one bowl.
Appearing at first
to be some sort of pea soup with it’s army color, a good roasted poblano soup will quickly make itself known with one spoonful.
With just a few simple steps and just a few ingredients, you will end up with a hyper-tasty rich roasted poblano soup.
Poblano peppers are of course the star of this soup! Poblanos are a mild Mexican pepper with just the slightest hint of spice.
These peppers are often used in many different dishes in Mexico as well as Tex-Mex dishes. As a matter of fact, one of my absolute favorite dips is made with this pepper beauty….The Best Roasted Poblano Bean Dip.
I just love poblano peppers to begin with and this soup perfectly showcases these beauties.
To learn more about poblano peppers, you may like to read this post by Chili Pepper Madness.
How to Make
Just a few steps…
Start with roasting the poblano peppers and getting the skin all beautifully charred. This brings out the full sweetness and flavor of the poblano and allows to easily remove the waxy skin off pepper which is very important.
Set the pepper aside to “sweat” a little and remove stems, seeds and the waxy skin.
Bring a skillet over medium heat and cook onions, garlic and chopped poblano peppers. This small step starts the whole process to “soup sensation” awareness!
Place all the peppers, onions, garlic and chicken broth in a blender (or immersion blender) and blend until smooth. For the final step, bring mixture back to a pot and simmer to blend all the flavors.
You will end up with a soup that perfectly showcases these beauties and soothes the soul.
Top with mexican crema, hot sauce and chopped cilantro. A great topper would also be some tortilla chips or tortilla strips.
FYI, this soup tastes even better the next day!
More poblano pepper recipes below recipe card ↓
Amazing Roasted Poblano Soup
- 3-4 poblano peppers roasted, stems, seeds and skin removed, chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro chopped
- hot sauce
- mexican crema or sour cream
- tortilla chips or strips
Roasting Poblano Peppers
- Rinse poblano peppers and roast in a skillet with a tablespoon of oil, turning peppers over after roasting on one side. Roast until nicely charred.
- Let peppers “sit” to “sweat” and cool off a little.
- Once peppers have cooled, remove stems, seeds and skin with fingers.Note: Could clean peppers under running cool water to remove skin easier as well as seeds.
- Add the butter to a saucepan or pot and melt over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and stir into onions, Cook for 1 minute.Add chopped poblano peppers.
- Add flour and to mixture and stir well.
- Add chicken broth. salt, pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add broth mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Return back to pot and cook for another 15 minutes on medium to low heat.
Serve Roasted Poblano Soup
- Serve in bowls and top with cilantro, crema (or sour cream) and hot sauce.
For more delicious recipes made with poblano peppers, try these recipes:
Hope you love this Roasted Poblano Soup as much as I do!