Looking for a tasty delicious Chorizo Quesadillas recipe? You will love this one! Simple, quick and hyper-delicious!
Quesadillas de Chorizo
Chorizo Quesadillas is a delicious snack and makes an excellent appetizer. Some people believe that chorizo simply makes everything taste better. I guess the way some people feel about bacon! So for my chorizo lovers out there this’s one for you!
Let’s talk chorizo!
Chorizo, is a pork sausage made with different spices. It has a very strong smoky flavor and if you have never had it, you must try it.
There’s hard chorizo like salami and chorizo that is minced like ground meat. Depending where the chorizo is from, where it’s made, it may or may not need to be cooked. In Europe most chorizo is fermented and cured in which case, it doesn’t need to be cooked.
Places like Mexico prepare their sausage fresh and therefore must be cooked. It is more of a minced or crumbled meat that comes in a casing. Chorizo can be made out of ground chicken, pork, turkey, beef, venison and prepared with mexican chilis and other spices.
Chorizo is excellent in a variety of dishes. Hard chorizo is excellent in soups while minced chorizo is excellent with eggs or home fries.
For these chorizo quesadillas, they are excellent made with both types of chorizo. So whichever is available to you is more than fine. Luckily for me I can find both kind where I live and made these quesadillas with both. If you have access to both as well, make these chorizo quesadillas with both kind and see which kind you prefer best for your quesadillas.
The wonderful thing about quesadillas is, whether you make chicken quesadillas, shrimp, steak quesadillas or chorizo quesadillas you can add whatever ingredients and toppings you like. Cheese, scallions, red onions, queso fresco, sour cream, salsa, tomatoes, cilantro, guacamole etc…
And don’t forget your sauces! 🙂
- 9 Ounces beef (ground) or pork chorizo hard or ground chorizo
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 scallions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 1/2 cups queso fresco/monterey jack cheese
- 6 or 8 inch package flour tortillas
- 8 oz sour cream
- salsa of your choice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- If you're using hard chorizo, remove from package and cut into slices and then cube. Set aside. If you are using ground chorizo, remove from casing into bowl, set aside.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat and add chopped onion. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beef or chorizo. If it is ground beef/chorizo, cook for about 7 minutes.Note: The ground chorizo may be too oily, just put mixture through a mesh strainer to remove excess oil.
If using hard chorizo, cook for 5 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Mix garlic, onions and beef/chorizo all together.
- Heat refried beans for 1 minute in microwave, so they will be easier to spread on tortillas.
- Taking one flour tortilla at a time, spread about 2 tbsps of the refried beans on tortilla.
- Follow with chorizo, cheese and scallions. Top with another tortilla. Repeat full process until you have used all the mixture.
- Heat and grill tortillas in a skillet over medium heat for a minute or so on each side or until cheese has melted. Note: Could use non stick spray or a little bit of oil for grill pan or skillet.
- Take each tortilla and cut into quarters. Serve immediately with salsa of your choice and sour cream. Enjoy!
For more recipes made with chorizo you may want to check these out:
Will you be making chorizo quesadillas??