These Crispy Black Bean Tacos recipe is super simple to make and yields hyper-delicious meatless tacos. Made with black beans in a savory tomato sauce, red onions, jalapeños, garlic, cilantro, smoky spices and gooey melted monterey jack cheese, wrapped in a crispy corn tortilla. Served with a creamy avocado cilantro sauce.
Crispy Black Bean Tacos
Happy New Year guys! I don’t know about you but this past year came and went by very quickly for me. However, I think we all like to start the New Year with a head strong mentality with thoughts of all the things to come and all the things we want to do and achieve. All the new foods we want to try, places we want to visit, getting healthier, talking to that long lost friend…and I know we all have so many things in mind we want to accomplish this year but here at Mexican Appetizers and More, we want to start the New Year with simplistic thoughts and no fuss recipes. So I’d like to share with you this hyper-yummy Mexican appetizer! And what’s that?! Crispy Black Bean Tacos!
Crispy black beans tacos are truly already exceptional and a really easy appetizer, snack or even a meal to make but as I always say, “everything is better with a great dip or salsa!”
So for these Crispy Black Bean Tacos, I have lined them up with my avocado cilantro sauce.
I just have a thing about avocado dips. They just work really well with many dishes, appetizers and even drinks. So I tend to use them a lot in many of my appetizers.
So these here crispy black bean tacos are no exception! With just a few ingredients, you have yourself a delicious creamy avocado cilantro sauce to accompany your crispy black bean tacos! This is a must! So don’t skimp out on the avocado cilantro sauce!
And if you would like to add maybe a little more heat to these delicious crispy tacos, maybe you would like to try them with my habanero tomatillo salsa as well. Another very easy salsa to make and absolutely deliciously great for any kind of tacos.
For example my tacos rajas poblanas is accompanied with habanero tomatillo salsa. Absolute yum!
So lets get to these delicious Crispy Black Bean Tacos!
After the recipe, I have included a few photos for you.
Hope you love these crispy black bean tacos as much as I do!
Crispy Black Bean Tacos
- 4-8 Ounces pepper jack cheese thinly sliced or grated
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 19.75 Ounces can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 Ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- jalapeño rinsed and stem removed, could also remove seeds for less heat
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste
FOR AVOCADO CILANTRO SAUCE
- 1 avocado slice in half, remove pit, remove avocado pulp with spoon
- 1 jalapeño rinsed and stem removed, could also remove seeds for less heat
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 1 squeeze of lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- Add all ingredients to a blender or chopper and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a skillet over medium heat add two tablespoons of oil and add chopped onions, jalapeno and garlic. Toss together and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add rinsed beans, tomato sauce, cilantro, cumin, paprika and mix all well.With a potato masher or fork slightly mash beans. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
Preparing Bean Tacos
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and add then add a corn tortilla.
- Let cook for a minute and then add bean mixture to one side of tortilla and top with cheese. With a spatula flip the other side of tortilla over mixture to form shell tortilla or half moon. Press down gently. Cook for another minute or two and flip over and press down gently again. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until nice and crispy. Drain on paper towels.Note: If your pan is large enough you will be able to make a couple of tacos at once.
- Repeat process with the rest of the tacos adding more oil as needed and place the already cooked ones in a warm oven.
- Serve immediately with avocado cilantro sauce and or hot sauce.Enjoy your crispy heaven!
After cooking onions, garlic and jalapeño, add beans, tomato sauce, spices and cilantro.
Mash beans some.
Put cheese and bean mixture on one side of taco.
Crisp corn tortilla on both sides.
Serve with avocado cilantro sauce.
Want to learn more about the health benefits of black beans, here’s a great article → Health Benefits
Leave a Reply