Easy Delicious Mexican Street Corn (Elote) with all the toppings. Made with sweet corn, mayonnaise, cotija cheese, ancho chili powder, lime and cilantro. Excellent appetizer or side dish!
Easy Delicious Mexican Street Corn (Elote)
Today I wanted to bring to you a very common and a super simple but delicious treat served all over Mexico. Mexican Street Corn (Elote).
I know it’s summer in my household when I start making Mexican street corn. It’s a favorite around here! Easy Delicious Mexican Street Corn (Elote)!
What is Elote
Elote means corncob in english. And if you don’t know yet, there is probably no bigger staple in Mexican Cuisine as is the elote. Elotes are used in many ways and dishes. From corn masa (corn dough) to make corn tortillas and empanadas, tamales de elote, mexican corn salad, sopes, chilapitas, chilaquiles, etc. All these dishes come from the elote.
Let’s talk about that for a little bit…
Mexicans as well as tourists, love and eat very delicious snacks and meals throughout the day. Offered from different street vendors from their bicycle carts, food carts and food kiosks. For breakfast you can be sure to find several different kinds of juices such as: orange, grapefruit, carrot, strawberry, mamey and banana.
They also offer:
Liquados– which are fruit shakes served with a evaporated milk base.
Agua Fresca-made with fruits, sugar, water and is a much lighter drink since it’s made without milk.
You will also find fresh fruit cocktails served in plastic cups and different toppings.
You will also find cucumber, jicama and carrots seasoned with salt, lime, chili and some with chamoy.
Then there are the tamal stands, serving of course tamales; steaming in huge steel buckets. Tamales are one of the most popular mexican street foods to be found. Served for hugely for breakfast but lunch and dinner too.
LATE NIGHT SNACKS:
Just to name a few:
Churros are a very common late night snack offered with yummy fillings such as strawberry, vanilla, chocolate and dulce de leche.
ELOTES and Esquites…..
And finally the premise of this delicious but yet so simple dish, ELOTES or my Easy Delicious Mexican Street Corn.
Mexican Street Corn (Elote) is a very popular night snack… although served throughout the day, depending on the Mexican State you visit. You will find huge steel pots of boiling corn served with mexican crema or mayonnaise, cheese, chili, cilantro and lime. This combination of ingredients makes corn on the cob reach a whole other level of deliciousness.
And here is the thing, friends if corn on the cob is not your thing, don’t fret because if you do enjoy corn and just have a thing about sticking your teeth into the cob, then maybe Esquites is a better option for you and is just as delicious.
For Esquites, the kernels are removed from the cob and served in the same fashion in a cup with a spoon or simply with chicken broth and epazote. So you can still enjoy this mexican street corn recipe!
I hope you love Mexican street corn (elote) as much as we do here in my family.
Easy Delicious Mexican Street Corn (Elote)
- 3 ears of corn husks and hairs removed and cut into 6 mini corn on the cob
- mexican crema or mayonnaisse to brush on corn
- cojita cheese crumbled or parmesan or feta cheese (to sprinkle on corn)
- ancho chili pepper powder could use regular chili powder or cayenne pepper for spiciness (to sprinkle on corn)
- 1 lime sprinkle fresh lime juice on mini cobs
- fresh cilantro chopped and sprinkle on corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 small skewers
- Remove husks and hairs off of corn ears.
- Cut each ear of corn into 3 pieces to make 6 pieces.
- Over medium heat, in a large pot, bring enough water to a boil and cook corn over medium high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until corn is tender. Cover pot with a lid for quicker cooking.Remove corn from water and let cool on a platter.
- Once corn is cool enough to touch, stick a skewer through the bottom of each cob.
- With a cooking brush or a spoon, spread mexican crema or mayonnaise all over mini cobs. (I did 3 mini cobs with mexican crema and the other 3 with mayonnaise)
- Sprinkle cheese, chili powder, lime juice and salt and pepper all over and around cobs.
- Sprinkle cilantro all over mini cobs. Ready to eat! Enjoy!
Recipe and pictures…..↓
Start with removing the husks and corn hair.
Cut each ear of corn into 3 to make 6 pieces in total.
Ingredients for Easy Delicious Mexican Street Corn (Elote)
Leave your comments and let me know what you think….