This Seven Layer Bean Dip (Dip de Siete Capas) recipe is served in their own individual cups which makes it the perfect appetizer for any gathering. A layer of refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, pickled jalapenos, chunky salsa, topped with black olives, scallions, queso fresco and served with fresh corn tortilla chips. So simple, quick and tasty appetizer!
So lets talk about layers! Layers of anything good is always good! Here in this Seven Layer Bean Dip recipe you serve it in individual glasses. What a great idea for any gathering. You have layers
of simpleness but yet so tasty.
You have layers of refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, cheese, black olives, scallions, etc…. it’s up to YOUR imagination,…..because at the end of the day, this is more of a guide. You can layer it with or without certain ingredients…whatever you like.
Layer with pulled pork and all the above, layer with seafood of any kind and all the above too….change it up all you want! You are always in control here. Like I said, this is just a guide. But remember to share back your ideas…. 🙂
Having your own individual glass appetizer is just a great idea! Your own cup, no double dipping!
For this seven layer bean dip, I decided to serve it with homemade tortilla chips.
I took regular corn tortilla wraps and cut them lengthwise so that you can dip the tortilla chip till the bottom of the glass and get all the goodies from the bottom up. Plus I think it’s a cool presentation for my guests.
You can choose to make these or if you would rather cut down a few minutes by buying corn tortilla chips, feel free to do that!
Homemade tortilla chips….
Seven Layer Bean Dip
- 16 oz refried beans
- 3 ripe avocados cut in half, pitted and mashed with fork
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 bottle chunky salsa
- 8 oz package shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ lime squeezed
- ½ white onion chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 green onions (scallions) sliced
- 2.25 oz sliced black olives drained
- 1 package queso fresco crumbled
- pickled jalapeños 1 to 2 teaspoons per glass
- 1 package corn tortillas cut, look at picture in post, or buy a bag of tortilla chips
- vegetable oil for frying corn tortillas
- Cut avocados in half and remove pits with a knife. Remove flesh and place in a bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Add chopped onion and sprinkle with a little lime juice (to avoid the avocado discoloring). Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix all together and now you have a simple homemade guacamole.
- Place refried beans in a bowl and warm up in microwave for about 40 seconds just enough to be able to easily spread.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of beans to small glass cups (or 9 ounce tumblers).
- Add a layer of guacamole, a layer of sour cream and a layer of chunky salsa. Add shredded cheddar cheese. Add chopped tomatoes, scallions, drained olives, pickled jalapeños, drained black olives and crumbled cheese.
- Place prepared glasses in refrigerator.
Corn Tortillas and Serving
- Cut corn tortillas in odd long shapes. Add about ½ inch of vegetable oil to frying pan and cook a few at a time until crispy and golden. Drain on a paper towesl. When you are ready to serve your individual glasses add a chip to each and serve with additional chips on the side.
Here’s another fabulous dip. One of my favorites by far!
When will you be making this seven layer bean dip? Do you like the idea of the individual glasses too?