Never knew you could make ceviche out of canned tuna? This Albacore Tuna Ceviche recipe will surely surprise your taste buds over and over again. It is so easy, super simple to make and absolutely delicious!!!!
Have you ever wondered if you can make tuna ceviche out of canned tuna? Probably not!
But I’m here to tell you, you can! And it’s absolutely delicious and shockingly amazing and so easy to make! Perfect for dinner, lunch or even as a snack.
You will love these canned tuna ceviche tostadas!
We normally see ceviche recipes such as shrimp ceviche, tuna, tilapia ceviche, crab, scallop ceviche and even see vegetarian ceviche for example my mushroom ceviche or cauliflower ceviche. But how often do we see a ceviche recipe made from canned tuna?Not something we see all too often or even hear about all the time, right?
But yes canned tuna ceviche exists and is quite amazing!
You will be so pleasantly surprised at how delicious canned tuna ceviche is!
It may not be the prettiest ceviche dish you will ever make but it sure is delicious! Just give it a chance and you will understand what I mean.
Three Things I love About Albacore Tuna Ceviche
- Albacore tuna ceviche is so affordable
- It’s so simple to make
- It’s hyper-delicious!
Fun Facts About Albacore Tuna
What exactly is Albacore Tuna?
Albacore tuna is a species of tuna that belongs to the Mackerel family and is referred to as the “white tuna”. It is found in different parts of the world along tropical waters.
How big does Albacore tuna get?
Albacore tuna grows up to 4.6 ft in length and weigh up to 80 lbs.
How long does Albacore tuna live for?
Albacore tuna can live anywhere from 11 to 12 years but matures at 5 to 6 years of age. Females release 800,000 eggs up to 2.6 million eggs. They are released near the surface and are fertilized. Twenty-four to forty eight hours later they are hatched. They remain with their grounds for a year and then start their northern migration.
Ingredients You Will Need
- a can of albacore solid white tuna
- red onion
- serrano pepper (optional)
- grape tomatoes or chopped roma tomatoes
- fresh cilantro
- corn tortillas
How to Make Albacore Tuna Ceviche
- Simply drain a can of tuna, place in a bowl and break apart with a fork.
- Add serrano pepper, onions, tomatoes, cilantro and juice of a lime.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Remove pulp of avocados and mash with a fork, add lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Fry two corn tortillas (or buy store bought tostadas) in a tablespoon of oil on both sides until golden brown and drain on paper towels. Tortillas will become perfectly crispy tostadas.
- Spread avocado mixture on two corn tostadas.
- Divide tuna ceviche on top of corn tostadas. Done!
I hope you enjoy this simple yet delicious surprise out of a can as much as I do.
You will also love these ceviche recipes:
Albacore Tuna Ceviche
- 4 ounces Albacore Solid White Tuna drained, separated with fork
- 2 Ounces red onion thinly sliced or chopped
- 10 grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 serrano pepper seeded, finely chop
- 1/2 fresh lime squeezed
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 2 avocados seed removed and avocado mashed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 6 inch corn tostadas (store bought or homemade)
- Open can of tuna and with tuna lid against open can, drain liquid. Place in a bowl and spread apart with fork. Add onion, serrano pepper, tomatoes and cilantro. Add juice of half a lime and season with salt and pepper. Mix well together.
- Slice open avocados, remove seeds by slightly hitting seed with knife and twist seeds out. Remove avocado flesh with spoon and add to a bowl. Mash avocado with back of spoon or fork and add 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Season guacamole mixture with salt and pepper.
If Making Corn Tostadas and Not Using Store Bought Tostadas
- In a skillet over medium heat, add a tablespoon of oil and fry tortillas on both sides until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Divide guacamole on the corn tostadas. Top tuna ceviche on each. Enjoy!