A delicious Mexican Breakfast Skillet, Authentic Migas Recipe. Made with crispy corn tortilla pieces, kielbasa sausage and scrambled eggs snuggled in between sautéed onions, poblano peppers, tomatoes, jalapeño, roasted garlic and served with refried beans and creamy avocado slices.
So what if this weekend we try an Delicious Authentic Migas recipe?
What if we add some refried beans and some finely chopped onions and maybe some avocado slices?
Would you like that?
I certainly would!
Or would you maybe give me a stare of confusion? “Wait Cathy, what is Migas?”
What is Migas?
Migas is a delicious breakfast treat, one we should all be treating ourselves to a little more often than not, for sure!
Migas is a Mexican breakfast skillet.
The “Migas” refers to the corn tortilla pieces cooked until crispy and then cooked with scrambled eggs.
Migas with eggs (Migas con Huevos) can be mixed with onions, tomatoes, chile peppers, rajas (poblano strips), ham or chorizo.
You can also just simply add whatever leftover meat you have in the refrigerator, like say chicken, but then again this would most likely make this dish Chicken Chilaquiles? 🙂 Yes I think so!
Variations of MIGAS
There are certain variations of what could and is called MIGAS.
For example, in Mexico City, “Migas” is something a bit different!
In Mexico City, Migas is a soup made with day old bolillos and then topped with a raw egg that is slowly cooked in the hot broth.
You will also hear the term Migas referring to Portuguese Migas which is a completely different dish as well as Spanish Migas.
A Spanish Migas Recipe consists of leftover bread with usually a blend of pork meat.
For this Mexican authentic migas recipe, I have added kielbasa sausage, tomatoes, onions, poblano peppers, jalapenos, cilantro, monterey jack cheese, eggs and of course the star of this Mexican breakfast skillet, the migas!
To accompany this already delicious migas breakfast I added refried beans, avocado slices and served it with warm corn tortillas just in case I wanted to have a migas taco!
This breakfast was just perfect!
So give this authentic migas recipe a try this weekend and let me know what you think. I don’t believe you will be disappointed!
Also don’t forget the hot sauce!
Pictures below ↓ followed by other delicious Mexican breakfast dishes.
Delicious Authentic Migas Recipe
- 1 avocado sliced in half, pitted, skin peeled and avocado sliced
- 1 can refried beans
- moneterey jack cheese for topping on migas
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- extra tortillas for serving serve warm
- hot sauce top eggs
- cotija cheese sprinkled on top
- extra white onion finely chopped for beans
FOR MIGAS WITH EGGS
- 5 corn tortillas cut into strips and fried crispy
- 6 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk or half and half mix with whisked eggs
- 1 poblano pepper or green bell pepper chopped
- ½ white onion chopped
- 1-2 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- ½-1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 1 cup kielbasa sausage cooked
- 2 ½ tablespoons oil
- salt to taste
- In a pan or skillet heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Spread corn tortilla strips. Cook strips until nice and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Cook kielbasa sausage until desired wellness and also drain on paper towels.
- Whisk eggs and milk and set aside.
- Using a clean skillet over medium high heat add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add onions, pepper, jalapeño and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes.Note: If using a poblano pepper, make sure to roast pepper first. Roast on stovetop, oven or open flame until skin is charred on all sides. Place pepper in a plastic container and allow pepper to “sweat.” Next, under running water remove outer charred skin. With fingers, open pepper and rinse seeds out and gently remove stem. Cut pepper into strips and coarsely chop.
- Add tomatoes to pan and cook for a minute. Add kielbasa sausage back to pan. Mix all together.
- Add tortilla strips and eggs. Add salt to taste. Fold eggs in with mixture and cook for 2-4 minutes or until eggs are no longer runny. Top with shredded monterey cheese and cilantro.
- While eggs are cooking heat beans in a bowl in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.Prepare avocado slices.
- Serve migas, beans (top with chopped onions if desired) and avocado slices and warm tortillas.Serve with hot sauce if desired.
Cut corn tortillas into strips before frying.
Could also fry tortillas whole and then after cooling could break apart into quarters or strips if desired instead of cutting tortillas first and then frying.
Roasting poblano pepper. Note: Could also use a green bell pepper.
Cooking kielbasa…you can make this delicious authentic migas recipe simply by excluding the sausage.
Ingredients for migas.
Onions, peppers, jalapeno, garlic and tomatoes cooking.
Mixture of onions, peppers, tomatoes, jalapeno, garlic, kielbasa sausage and tortilla strips.
Eggs, veggie mixture and tortilla strips cooking.
For more delicious Mexican breakfast ideas, you may want to check these other recipes.