These Tacos Gobernador are the perfect crispy cheesy shrimp tacos you will ever come across.
These Tacos Gobernador translates to Governor’s Tacos and they are just hyper-delicious.
These are cheesy shrimp tacos folded in between a crispy corn tortilla with all the toppings.
I promise these tacos will just make you happy every time you make them.
Poblano peppers strips, thinly sliced onions, juicy sweet tomatoes, serrano pepper and garlic cooked with shrimps and then laid on top of deliciously melted cheese in between a corn tortilla that is perfectly pan fried in butter.
Oh! And the serrano pepper offers the perfect hint of spiciness you will love.
OH MY GOD SO GOOD!
These tacos are also known as “Tacos al Gobernador” or “Tacos Gobernador Estilo Sinaloa” because they were named after the Governor of Sinaloa, Mexico.
The Governor stated that Pacific shrimp, melted cheese, tomatoes, peppers and onions was good politics!
A little humorous but I definitely have an idea where he came from with that statement; food has always been a median between parties.
So how do we make these fabulous tacos?
So simple, you’ll be amazed how simple you can whip up a batch of tacos gobernador whether for an appetizer, lunch, dinner or snack.
How to Make Tacos Gobernador
Start with sauteing the onions, peppers and garlic. Add the shrimp.
Add a tablespoon of unsalted butter to another skillet over medium heat and add corn tortilla. Add cheese and allow to melt a little.
Add shrimp mixture on top of cheese and fold tortilla over. Crisp taco on one side, flip over and crisp on the other side.
You’re tacos gobernador are done!
Top with salsa verde or creamy avocado cilantro sauce.
For more delicious Taco recipes:
Tacos Rajas Poblanas (Vegetarian)
Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce Topping
For another Vegetarian Taco, you may want to try these from a fellow blogger.
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp de-shelled, deveined, cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper or poblano cut into thin strips
- 1 serrano pepper minced or finely chopped
- 2-3 roma tomatoes chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- unsalted butter
- 2 limes
- 8 corn tortillas
- 8 ounces oaxaca cheese or monterey or mozzarella or provolone cheese shredded or thinly sliced
- 1-2 tbsp fresh cilantro (optional) chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
For Sauces (Could use just one or both)
- salsa verde for topping
- avocado cilantro sauce for topping
- After cleaning the shrimp. Cut shrimp into small pieces. Set aside in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Saute pepper, onion, tomatoes and serrano pepper in a skillet over medium heat with 3 tablespoons of butter. Cook until onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. If using a poblano pepper, make sure to roast pepper over stovetop or oven before using. Put pepper in a sealed container to cause it to sweat for 5 minutes. Peel skin off under running water and remove seeds and stem.
- Add garlic, cilantro (if using) and cook for another minute. Stir ingredients together.
- Add shrimp to mixture with juice of half a lime and salt and pepper to taste. Cook just until shrimp turns pink....DO NOT overcook shrimps or they will become gummy and tough.
- In another skillet or comal over medium heat, add a a tablespoon of butter or oil and add one or two tortillas at a time.
- After about 45 seconds or so, flip tortilla over and add cheese to one side. Allow cheese to melt a little then add about 2-3 tablespoons of shrimp mixture on top of cheese.
- Fold the side with no ingredients over to form a taco. Continue to cook on both sides until tacos are nice and crispy. About another 30 seconds or so.
- Repeat process with the rest of the tortillas. Serve immediately with salsa verde or avocado cilantro sauce. Serve with lime wedges.Enjoy!
Enjoy these amazing tacos and let me know what you think.
Andrea Metlika says
These look and sound wonderful. My family will love these.
So good!! 🙂
Shrimp tacos with cheese! Never had this combination before but I’m sure it’s awesome!
Oh it is Saima!!
Monica | Nourish + Fete says
These are the perfect game day appetizer, no doubt about it! Cheese and shrimp stuffed in a taco? Yes please!
Yes Monica, just perfect!
Love shrimp! This looks like something I could definitely put into my weekly menu!
Hope you do Tisha!
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry says
I love tacos and these sound so good, cheese and shrimp are two of my favourite ingredients! Love that they take such little time to make too!
Thank you Bintu!